We Just Noticed A Baby Odessa Barb In Our Fantasy Tank!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Never a dull moment, team!

While I was out returning rummy noses & buying a new heater, my partner noticed a 4mm baby Odessa barb in our other bowfront tank!

Our tank has a permanent fake marine theme insert so they could've hidden eggs & fry anywhere tbh.

We've just seen one. That indicates any others have been tasty snacks for the other Odessas, correct?

What would be involved in catching & caring for this little fish?

We have a breeder net, and we'd decided that any fry would likely not survive so we'd only deal with fry if any happened to survive. This one has.

We added the males to the tank on 30 March so it's been just about a month... those rascals!

temp is 24ºC
pH 7.3-7.4
gH 13
kH 3

any advice would be helpful because in about a week we're adding an EBJD & a firemouth so off it hasn't been eaten by then, it will soon after. .

Initiate

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jenoli42 said:
Never a dull moment, team!

While I was out returning rummy noses & buying a new heater, my partner noticed a 4mm baby Odessa barb in our other bowfront tank!

Our tank has a permanent fake marine theme insert so they could've hidden eggs & fry anywhere tbh.

We've just seen one. That indicates any others have been tasty snacks for the other Odessas, correct?

What would be involved in catching & caring for this little fish?

We have a breeder net, and we'd decided that any fry would likely not survive so we'd only deal with fry if any happened to survive. This one has.

We added the males to the tank on 30 March so it's been just about a month... those rascals!

temp is 24ºC
pH 7.3-7.4
gH 13
kH 3

any advice would be helpful because in about a week we're adding an EBJD & a firemouth so off it hasn't been eaten by then, it will soon after. .
A breeder net is a great idea but I'd be careful as small fish can get caught between the breeder box and the aquarium glass I lost two rummys because of this. Feed it live brine shrimp and other smaller foods.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Initiate said:
A breeder net is a great idea but I'd be careful as small fish can get caught between the breeder box and the aquarium glass I lost two rummys because of this. Feed it live brine shrimp and other smaller foods.
thank you! we don't have other small fish in there so I'm not too worried... but!

WE CAUGHT IT! it's in the breeder net. it came out at dinner time & suddenly materialised in front of me! yusss

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
how long do I leave it in the breeder? do I need to refresh the water in the net?

it's so tiny!!! squeee

Initiate

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jenoli42 said:
how long do I leave it in the breeder? do I need to refresh the water in the net?

it's so tiny!!! squeee
the net has the tank water going through it right?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also have one gourami fry in improvised breeder tank. I drip in infusoria for it, but otherwise I feed it normal food that I feed my other fish. I just powder it. So far over three weeks and is alive ^^ When I do water changes I take the fry out with a glass of water and take try net out and rinse it. It always get nasty at the bottom - it is hard to feed one fry without leftovers. I also put floating plants and one planted plant with bit of gravel in for it, so it has it more cozy

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Initiate said:
the net has the tank water going through it right?
yep

Katarina said:
I also have one gourami fry in improvised breeder tank. I drip in infusoria for it, but otherwise I feed it normal food that I feed my other fish. I just powder it. So far over three weeks and is alive ^^ When I do water changes I take the fry out with a glass of water and take try net out and rinse it. It always get nasty at the bottom - it is hard to feed one fry without leftovers. I also put floating plants and one planted plant with bit of gravel in for it, so it has it more cozy
thank you! I fell asleep last night trying to figure out how to do pwc in the tank it's net is in.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jenoli42 said:
thank you! I fell asleep last night trying to figure out how to do pwc in the tank it's net is in.
Glad I could help I hope the fry will do well!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Katarina said:
Glad I could help I hope the fry will do well!
what's infusoria btw?

Our breeder net sucks. if we put any weight in the bottom the edges will come off the frame. so we will buy or make a better one as this little fish grows. wish I'd known while I was out at the lfs but oh well. I wanna put decorations in so it feels secure but it actually doesn't seem to mind. it didn't react at all when I netted it. it was like "dumdedum what's that green thing? I'll swim into it"

this is why we don't think the others lasted...

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jenoli42 said:
what's infusoria btw?

Our breeder net sucks. if we put any weight in the bottom the edges will come off the frame. so we will buy or make a better one as this little fish grows. wish I'd known while I was out at the lfs but oh well. I wanna put decorations in so it feels secure but it actually doesn't seem to mind. it didn't react at all when I netted it. it was like "dumdedum what's that green thing? I'll swim into it"

this is why we don't think the others lasted...
I made my own from a square plastic food container. I cut out two sides so the water could flow and I wrapped it in pantyhose piece The plus is that the bottom of it still has the plastic in it so it makes it easier to wash.

Infusoria is some one-cell organisms which I fed to tiny little fry who could not swallow real food yet. But I read that it is necessary mostly for tiny fry species like egg-bearers ... but to be honest my fry survived two first days without it because I could not get it in shop. Now I have little bottle of it and more less for good feeling i drop it in the tank But I know there is easy ways to grow your own infusoria in some plastic bottle and just drip some of it in the tank. Im sure you can find some tutorial on youtube also I gotten some tips for it here, but I didnt have time to get to it so i dont remember

My fry feels the other fishes swimming by the net and is so curious ... like, let me out see what is happening out there

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok peeps. I took a minute long video of how active our tank is atm after morning feed. we added 2 mystery snails & another apple snail last night. you can just see the breeder net at the top with the tiny fry somewhere inside...

I'm mesmerized <3

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom