We Have ICH!!!

1. honeyooo Member Member

Ok.....weve got the pleco and the catfish. I brought home 4 new fish about 2 weeks ago, 2 zebras and 2 tetras. Now we have Ich...not sure if it was the new fish or what else happened but now I need to know the best way to get rid of it.

What I have read so far.......crank up the heat, put in air stones, and then of course Ich medicine.

What do I do in your opinions? Thanks!!!!:(

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

3. hobo Member Member

I don't like meds just change at least 50% of the water every day untill it clears up clean water is the best cure for your fish .

4. honeyooo Member Member

Thank you Lexi, very informative article. The only thing I am having trouble with is the adding extra air/oxygen to compensate for the heat......how do I do that?

Also......is it possible that we brought it home with the new fish? Weve had them about 2 weeks now

Thanks Hobo.....yes, Im planning on starting that tomorrow morning!!!!

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Two ways to increase the oxygen in the water. Lower the water level so that the waterfall on the filter creates more disturbance. Or you can add an airstone or bubble wand attached to an air pump.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Extra oxygen is added with the use of a airpump and airstone/bubble wand.

Did you QT the new fish? This is why most members will QT new fish for 2 to 3 weeks because it can take that long for illnesses to show up.

7. honeyooo Member Member

Ok, thanks Ill get to the store tomorrow and get those things.....along with an extra small tank so that we can QT the fish next time......no, we didnt this time and now yes, I am regretting it. Lesson learned the hard way!!!

8. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That's how most people learn :;bmu nobody at the fish store tells you you need a extra tank... although I don't know why, they would sell more tanks that way.

9. honeyooo Member Member

Ya, youd think they would say something....but honestly if they told me that Id probably think they were just trying to sell me extra stuff I didnt need lollll And I knew about the QT tank but I didnt do it....so my own fault.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

You never want to use heat AND meds. One or the other.

I treat all new fish for ich while in quarantine, at temps up to 90, and I never use an air pump :;dk Though it can't hurt.

Yes, the quarantine tank is essential :)

This isn't entirely true. Yes water changes can clear things up, but no it doesn't cure. Ich can exist as a low level infestation, hidden in the gills, for a long time. It's a parasite, so it's a symbiotic relationship with the fish. It's only when the fish is compromised in some way that the balance is tipped and the ich starts spreading. Water changes, when detected early enough, can help the fish to get the upper hand back and keep things at bay. But the fish isn't cured - it's like remission. The fish will continue to be a carrier.

11. honeyooo Member Member

Jaysee...so what is your advise on how to clear this up?

12. cameronpalte Member Member

It is possible you brought them home with the new fish but don't worry about that, they didn't mean to do it:)... here is what I recommend. Please not I'm no expert on this, I'm pretty new, this is just my advice:).

1) Regularly increase heat, not all at once but regular intervals.
    2) Change water daily to try to remove organisms, try 25%/day, some recommend more.
    3) To increase air support you can try to add some air stones which you can purchase.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Raise the temp to 86 for two weeks. There are heat resistant strains so if 86 doesn't work go higher to 88-90. Ich is really easy to cure, especially if treatment is started early. If the fish are infested, then I suggest meds instead of the heat. An infested fish needs immediate relief, and the heat method often makes things worse before they get better. Catching it early is key because the fish still has strength. Once the fish is infested, it's already weakened due to the compromised gill capacity from the parasites. At that point, both the heat and med methods could be too much for the fish, which is why meds are preferred because they work faster.

14. honeyooo Member Member

ok, thanks for the advice. The Pleco has full blown Ich. You can see it all over him bless his heart. And I was wondering about the heat when the fish was already compromised. Not that Im shunning any advice given to me but was more wondering wouldnt it stress the fish out more if he is already weak with Ich and then to bump up the heat.

So if I treat with meds as I am planning to do at this point because he is already so bad.....is there any follow up precautions I need to take to get the medication back out of the water after? Water changes or will it just be ok to leave the meds in?

Thank you to everyone who has helped us out with our first case of Ich!! My son and I appreciate all of your help!!!

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Water changes and carbon will remove the meds. If you have carbon in the filter, it needs to be removed during treatment. You may need to cut open the cartridge and dump it out. You can later put some new stuff back in after.

16. honeyooo Member Member

Its one with the little black rocks in it.....thats carbon right? Charcoal? It has a snap thing at the top where you can take out the rocks.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yup, the black rocks are the activated charcoal, aka carbon.

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.

Best wishes for your fish! ICH can be beaten!

Ken

19. honeyooo Member Member

Thanks Ken!!