We Have A Derp Fish :(

Kels723
HI there! Thanks for an awesome forum! This is my first post and I'm fairly new to aquariums, so bear with me.

So, my husband and I just started a 65 gallon cichlid tank, we've had it going for about three months now. We started with 7 mixed cichlids and have gone through all the beginner mistakes - lost two to bloat, had a massive ammonia spike, had to re-do the bacteria cycle (fish in, that was terrible!) ...all brought us where we are now. Finally have a healthy tank, added a couple new cichlids and they are all fat and happy fishies! ...except for one.

We currently have two Electric Blue Johannis, one Bumblebee, one Green Terror (female), one Electric Blue (female) and two Rusties. One of the Rusties, we call him Derpy, he has shown issues since we got him. When we had the ammonia spike it got worse - hanging out on the surface, swimming vertically... We thought he was a gonner. But seriously, this fish is still kicking, swimming vertically and bumping into stuff, and it's been over a month. This fish will probably survive the apocalypse.

My question is, anyone have an idea what could have caused his issues? Anything we can do to help him? He does get picked on a little, but the other tank mates leave him alone for the most part. He eats like a pig and randomly torpedoes when you least expect it. But his body looks pretty rough from hanging out in the plants all day (I attached a pic, that's his spot).

We're totally open to suggestions. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry... apparently I can't edit my post? Title was supposed to say "Derp fish". Lol

Attachments

• 20180401_191103.jpg
    20180401_191103.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 146
emerald6
You have some stocking issues with this setup, in which the more experienced members of this forum may help you with

Kels723
Stocking issues? I hope not... we consulted a few different people at the local fish stores.
We started with the two Johannis and the Convict, added the Green Terror and a Firemouth. Lost the Convict and the Firemouth to bloat, added the two Rusties, and just this past week added the Bumblebee and the female Electric Blue.
I was worried about the Terror causing problems, but so far so good...?

GrayGray4231
Stocking issues? I hope not... we consulted a few different people at the local fish stores.
We started with the two Johannis and the Convict, added the Green Terror and a Firemouth. Lost the Convict and the Firemouth to bloat, added the two Rusties, and just this past week added the Bumblebee and the female Electric Blue.
I was worried about the Terror causing problems, but so far so good...?
NEVER BELIEVE THE FISH STORES, THEY ARE ONLY OUT TO MAKE MONEYZZ!!

Mazeus
Sorry... apparently I can't edit my post? Title was supposed to say "Derp fish". Lol

Ha! I thought you had some kind of fish guru.

Kels723
NEVER BELIEVE THE FISH STORES, THEY ARE ONLY OUT TO MAKE MONEYZZ!!
I'm figuring that out... Hmmpf.

GrayGray4231
Yeah, sorry bout' that.

Albifrons
TexasDomer could help you, he's pretty good with helping with this kind of stuff.

Kels723
TexasDomer could help you, he's pretty good with helping with this kind of stuff.
Cool, thank you! TexasDomer Any advice is super appreciated.

Joshua2598
Is it a local fish store or a petco/smart?

Kels723
Both, actually. We were going to the lfs for adding tank mates when we were getting everything established, but ended up going to Petsmart more recently. There's two kids working there who are an encyclopedia of knowledge about cichlids and have helped us out a ton, giving us dirty fish water when we needed help bacteria cycling, salt when we had bloat and feeding suggestions after the ammonia fiasco.

dwarfpufferlover
Both, actually. We were going to the lfs for adding tank mates when we were getting everything established, but ended up going to Petsmart more recently. There's two kids working there who are an encyclopedia of knowledge about cichlids and have helped us out a ton, giving us dirty fish water when we needed help bacteria cycling, salt when we had bloat and feeding suggestions after the ammonia fiasco.

It looks like they gave you some bad information and it has happened to lots of us here.

I'm on my way out but plenty of people here willing to help, stick around!

TexasDomer
Yes, you do have stocking issues. For aggression, behavior, and diet reasons, it's not recommended to mix rift lake cichlids with non-rift lake cichlids (like firemouths, convicts, and especially not the very aggressive green terrors). If you want the rift lake cichlids, you're pretty much limited to those and a few cats that would work with them. I'd definitely rehome the terror as soon as possible - the peace won't continue, especially as they start getting older and reaching sexual maturity.

Kels723
Gah... I was worried you were going to say that. And the gt is my favorite.
...Well... We may just have to invest in another tank then!

TexasDomer
A tank for the GT alone would be great!

Kels723
A tank for the GT alone would be great!
Awesome! I don't wanna rehome the little dude, I've grown quite fond of him, even if he is a pain Lol.
Thanks so much for the advice, SUPER appreciate it!!

GrayGray4231
HAYYY, Don't say that plz!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sarasharma
Replies
Views
mielke08
Top Bottom