We Don’t Sell Sick Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by VeiltailKing, Jan 11, 2019.

1. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

I went to PetCo today... I know I shouldn’t have, but I needed to get a prefilter sponge. Probably shouldn’t have looked in the betta section, but I did :( In the baby section I saw a sad looking baby boy that was pineconing horribly. Hubby says no more tanks. I still asked if I could get a discount on him or get him for free. The manager stated “We don’t sell sick fish. Thanks for bringing him to our attention.” And took him from me. I understand said policy, but all of their tanks are holding dead or horribly ill fish.

I wish I could have taken him :(

2. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I wish so too. I recently got a betta 50% off because he was bloated. He is slowly recovering

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have to say as much as I bash the knowledge of the people at my petco the fish actually look in pretty good shape. Even the bettas in the cups.

4. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Poor little guy. Sad to see some of them in poor health conditions.

5. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

I just feel so bad because this fish is so young... They probably won’t take very good care of him. I have to admit that the worker that broke the news to me seemed awfully sad about it too.

EDIT: He had blue eyes too :( My favorite.

6. RowanValued MemberMember

I think it really depends on the aquatics dept manager for each specific store. When I lived in Cincinnati, I visited all the fish stores near me --- local and chain --- and the place with the cleanest tanks and healthiest fish was a big box store. *shrug*

7. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Do y’all think he was too far gone? Looks like dropsy to me. I’m just thinking of stopping back in there and seeing if they put him back out.

8. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

His scales were moderately raised, but it looks like it could still be treated. It was dropsy.

9. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

I'm glad they wouldn't sell it myself. Nothing against you! Some would get it them it may die and the next thing it would be all over forums what a bad store it was for selling/giving sick fish away.
    Again not saying you couldn't save it but they did a responsible thing and didn't sell it.

10. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

As I stated, I get why they don’t sell them. It’s just frustrating that they even have sick fish available in the first place.

11. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

If I were to go back tomorrow and get him, how should I go about treating this?

12. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Kanaplex and epsom salt baths.

13. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! I’m reading an article by another FL member right now and they recommend the same. I’ll probably keep this guy in a 2.5g bucket so that I can medicate and everything. Once we get him all healed and everything (If he survives) I might give him to my trusted pet store. They keep their bettas in actual Planted tanks. Or he may just stay with me ;)

14. BotWell Known MemberMember

If then don’t sell sick fish, then they probably euthanized it. I remember seeing a list of the company policy was to not treat sick fish(and if they do treat, it’s only with melafix) But I could be wrong, maybe their management does it differently.

15. midnaWell Known MemberMember

some pet stores will give you a discount on sick fish if you point it out to them, or give it to you for free. but i've heard of that policy too.

16. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

I had asked for a discount but they said they don’t sell sick fish :confused:

17. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Any sick bettas are meant to go back in the wellness room as they are not supposed to be treated on the floor or sold sick (as with all the other animals).
    The main problem is corporate doesn't all out of the box treatments so no chain store will have the needed kanaplex and epsom salts on hand to treat for dropsy - best case scenario they euthanize the fish (however they do not have anything on hand to do so like clove oil), worst case scenario it was left on the floor - medium case scenario it was placed in wellness until it passes as chain stores don't have the meds for dropsy (and half don't notice/care when it comes to bettas which is stupid).

18. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

It makes me so sad. I’ll be going back tomorrow to see if he’s there. I sure hope he is, and if he isn’t I might take another sick one home.

19. VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

If he is at PetCo tomorrow I will pick up one of those Imagitarium Pet Keeper boxes (the large one is approximately 3.28g) I think it would be great for a small QT, plus the betta is only a baby. Hubby also doesn’t want anymore tanks... but the Pet Keeper technically isn’t a tank :hilarious:

20. AJ34Valued MemberMember

I think if the policy is to not sell sick fish they should remove the
    sick fish from the sales floor. (but in the case of my Petco at times, that would be many of their fish) I have a feeling it was more in line with we don't want to give you a discount or free fish. I'm sure they are only "allowed" to do that so many times. I know from working in retail management that when it comes to discounting and exceptions a lot of places "monitor" what discounts are being given. I worked at Petco a long time go and when I did they were weird about that type of stuff because most theft/shrink is internal. An employee could have their friends come in and ask hey can I get this sick one for cheap or free...I'm sure there are employees that can handle the responsibility of issuing discounts and free items but there will be many more who would abuse that power. The things I've seen lol... I should write a book! Another thing I thought about and I'm not saying this applies to anyone here but there will be that customer who gets a discounted or sick fish that dies then they come back in still wanting a refund or something free because of their poor experience with a fish that was already knocking on deaths door. I don't think the average customer is aware of all that it takes to nurse a sick fish back to health. I think if you want him though you should try and get him, who care what hubby says :)