We caught a baby cichlid

BrandonInsoft

Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping some of yall could help me identify this cichlid and how to raise it. I caught this cichlid while gathering data for an ecology class at University Tampa in the campus river. I know there are adult Mayan cichlids along with blue tilapia in the river and this one was caught by net. I put him in a 3 gallon bowl with Carib Sea Eco substrate to raise Ph and add plants to bowl for him to hid in and eat. I put a heater in there and a sponge filter. I currently treating the tank with Kick Ich and voogle Immunity boost. I also just added some BP to the tank to start the nitrogen cycle. Ive been feeding him crushed up small cichlids pellets that i feed to my cichlids in my other tank but he has a hard time eating them. So I bought some line newborn brine shrimp but i think he might be big enough to eat something else. If anyone could give me some tips on how to ensure his survival it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to watch this little guy grow up and put him in a big tank.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe you have a baby "Convict Cichlid". They are a tough, very hardy fish. Probably going to have to invest in a 10 gal tank soon, w/ a hang on the back power filter.
Need to change out 25% of the water every other day for approx. a month until the tank cycles.
Need to change out 50% of the water every day while in the bowl. Good luck.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too many bars for convict or Mayan. This might take a little more research.

Edit: this is going to take a lot more research.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When in doubt with baby fish, wait a few months.

Get it a proper tank, 10gals will do. Feed frozen brine shrimp until it is willing to take prepared foods (pellets or flakes). Make sure you keep the water safe as I’m guessing the tank is not cycled. Frequent water changes will be in order.

BrandonInsoft

Reaction score
So I have this 10 gallon planted aquarium that just finished the cycle. I was going to put some fish in it this week. Now hearing that I will need a 10 gallon im having trouble deciding if i should put him in here by himself or get the fish i planned to buy.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what type of fish you want to add, maybe you could keep the baby cichlid & the other fish together on a temporary basis.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Seeing you decided to keep the "new" cichlid he is now your responsibility . I would suggest adding him to your newly cycled 10 or return him to the wild.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was going to add a school of Celestrial Pearl Danios to the 10 gallon. About 8 of them and one large mystery snail. Could the cichlid live with them for a few months?
Noone has verified the Cichlid specie yet so i would think the CPD's would become snacks if you left them all together in a 10

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with @kallililly1973. If that fish turns out to be a Convict, you'll discover what a truly aggressive cichlid is capable of. IMO, Convicts are a nuisance fish. They reproduce like rabbits. You can't give the fry away, nobody wants them. Convicts will even bite your hand during weekly maintenence if guarding a nest. Probably better to send him back home.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I would hold off on the cpds and put this guy into that tank. Or let it go. I don’t see convict I see African Cichlid. Remember it’s Florida. Someone may have released there’s and they are now breeding in that lake.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@86 ssinit. You might be right, "African". I looked up Floridas invasive species. Convict was listed, as well a "Spotted Tilapia" an African species.
The juvenile Tilapia closely resemble the Op's pictured cichlid. The stripes fade as the cichlids age.

BrandonInsoft

Reaction score
@86 ssinit. You might be right, "African". I looked up Floridas invasive species. Convict was listed, as well a "Spotted Tilapia" an African species.
The juvenile Tilapia closely resemble the Op's pictured cichlid. The stripes fade as the cichlids age.
We caught him in a shallow river on campus at U Tampa that is connected to a spring. Our Marine bio professor does research on Mayan cichlids has caught Spotted Tilapia, Blue Tilapia, Mayan Cichlids, Midas cichlid, Spotted Sunfish, and Black Acaras as well as mollies and mosquito fish. He has yet to catch a Convict and the river is 5 ft deep max. You can clearly see all these species during low tide. Either way, my GF caught it and loves the baby cichlid. So we are going to keep it. I'm going to add him to my 10 gallon and buy another tank for him because I really want those CPDs in my planted 10. I will keep him in my planted 10 gallon until the new tank for the baby cichlid has cycled. so a little over a month. I also heard cichlids eat plants so I would hate to see all my plants be eaten over time. So after I add him to the 10 gallon i want to buy a tank specifically for the baby cichlid and watch it grow to about 3-4 inches. Then depending on species, I could add him to my 90 gallon African cichlid I'm about to set up this spring or get 75+ for central Americans. But for the meantime should I get another 10 gallon for him? 20? 30? Could I keep the CPDs and the baby together for a month in the 10?

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The posters suggesting that you return it to "the wild" should bear in mind that you didn't catch this fish in it's natural habitat. It's an invasive and cannot ethically be released.

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The posters suggesting that you return it to "the wild" should bear in mind that you didn't catch this fish in it's natural habitat. It's an invasive and cannot ethically be released.
I agree. Returning a non-native species to where it was caught is a horrible idea.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. We aren't realesing him to the wild. it is also illegal to release invasive species back into the wild.
In the mean time, you might think about dumping about a third to half of the water out of that bowl. Without an airstone in it, you don't have a big enough surface area to maintain an adequate amount of dissolved oxygen in it for him.

BrandonInsoft

Reaction score
I actually just added him to my planted 10 gallon. Did a water test before adding and read 0 for ammonia nitrites and nitrates with a Ph of 7.4. he is looking very happy in hear with a lot of space. I really want to add the CPD. The cichlid might even be slightly smaller than adult CPD. I dont think he could get big enough to eat them within a month to move him to his own tank which I still dont know what size to get for him until I move to 75 gallon. Please let me know if im wrong.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom