WCs and vacuuming stress fish?

1. amdpayne Member Member

I read on here that netting and removing fish temporarily for WCs an vacuuming stresses fish hard, so I left them in today for a 50% WC (illness took 3 neons from me this past week, I think, so I did a decent WC today) and vacuuming, and they didn't seem too stressed, but I wonder if the current when I add the new water, the vacuuming, and the getting stirred up also causes them stressed. They didn't seem too worried, and they didn't hide afterward and they ate a few minutes later, but I'm just curious if this whole process is more or less stressful than removing them. Does the old in the bottom getting stirred up do them harm while they're swimming in it before it resettles?

2. fishingdeep Member Member

Hi amdpayne ! Yes, yes, and yes. Test your new water first and see the readings. New water should remove the nitrates and other stuff. Always remove the waste since water quality is the most important thing you can do for your fish. Removing them will cause stress that is not needed so please keep up the water quality and keep them happy!

3. escapay Well Known Member Member

I feel it is a lot less stressful with keeping the fish in the tank while doing the gravel vac than the more stressful of taking them out. Generally if I try to take any fish out of my tanks, I lower the water by siphoning it out - so I'd just do a partial water change then.

When I add the new de-chlorinated water from the bucket, I have one hand cupped under the bucket so the water doesn't just pour straight down but can be dispersed more on the top. I have live plants and don't want the substrate to be bothered much when I add new water in.

4. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

5. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Very funny and well done with the vid MJDuti :). I'm sorry but I've never even heard of taking fish out of any tank for a WC or substrate vac-? Small WC's while vac-ing some of the substrate (just remember where you vac'd for the next time) is perfectly fine. I own Discus and they ARE a lot tougher than people report.

6. fishingdeep Member Member

I rest my case ....

7. FiscCyning Member Member

It is by far more stressful to catch and move the fish than it is to leave them in while doing the wc. Some fish even like playing in the current of new water! If this current stresses yours out, find a way to displace the water flow a bit so it isn't as overwhelming. In my 10 gallon with sand I got a colander that I pour the water into so it comes through the little holes like a shower head instead of one big dump of water.

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, removing your fish from their home and feelings of safety is much more stressful than some temporary turbulence from moving water and you fiddling around in their tank.

Even in the most sensitive situations with very small fry I vacuum around them and then set the bucket of water above the tank and fill the tank with a small diameter siphon hose.

9. amdpayne Member Member

These are great tips and things to know. Thanks everyone! I used to remove my neons when they were super tiny because I was afraid they'd get sucked up, but I won't do that now if I get new ones that are super tiny again. They're bigger now, and even if they weren't, after reading your advice, I wouldn't remove them. Good stuff!

10. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

My fish seem to love gravel vac, and get so close to it, that I am the one who gets stressed out by the time I am done.

In my experience the only time I had to remove fish from the tank was when I was doing a 100% water change, or moving it to QT or dipping it in Meds.

In those cases the best way for me was to remove the fish from the tank with a bowl that fish swam into voluntarily. I learned to slowly lower the bowl with fish into a QT or another container without contaminating the water in the new container and gently prodding the fish to swim out of the transport bowl.

Returning fish back to the tank after a dip in Meds is a bit trickier, because of a necessity not to contaminate the tank water. That is when I used the net.

I've also seen videos when Goldies are picked out from their tank by hand. Goldie's stomach has to be cupped in your hand, and it's head has to be towards your wrist. On the video fish did not look stressed out.