Wcmm To Be Banned In Canada!

Aquaphobia

Not sure if the ban applies only to this province (BC) or the whole country but there you have it. I was at a pet store to order some fish stuff and a customer was buying some WCMMs and the owner mentioned the upcoming ban! Said it takes effect in a couple of weeks.

tjpettigrew

Aquaphobia said:
Not sure if the ban applies only to this province (BC) or the whole country but there you have it. I was at a pet store to order some fish stuff and a customer was buying some WCMMs and the owner mentioned the upcoming ban! Said it takes effect in a couple of weeks.
They're being banned as an invasive species. Some people have released them into the wild and although its not officially a problem yet it could be as the Asian Carp was. The ban is only BC wide at the moment. You are not even allowed to own them.

Platylover

Oh wow! That's interesting. At least now they'll be treated better since they can't be sold anymore.

Aquaphobia

Nothing shows up for me at that link, it's just a blank page.

I know it's because idiots release them but then why aren't goldfish banned? Mollies and platies would probably survive here, too.

EricV

tjpettigrew said:
They're being banned as an invasive species. Many people have released them into the wild and its becoming a problem in BC. The ban is only BC wide at the moment. You are not even allowed to own them.
And this is why you should never release pets into the wild. Now thanks to irresponsible owners not only are ecosystems being harmed, but a huge group of people will never get a chance to enjoy keeping these fish.

tjpettigrew

Aquaphobia said:
Nothing shows up for me at that link, it's just a blank page.

I know it's because idiots release them but then why aren't goldfish banned? Mollies and platies would probably survive here, too.
Its a PDF so you might need Adobe PDF Viewer to see it. I've attached it.

Aquaphobia

I have the viewer but it wouldn't show up. I was able to see it through your attachment though.

Five 97

I wouldn't be surprised if more people started dumping fish in bodies of water over here in the us, and handfuls of fish start to get banned. Sadly, there's not much we can do to stop irresponsible people from slipping fish in secret.

Aquaphobia, do you currently own Wcmms?

Aquaphobia

No, I don't. I only have tropicals. I'm just kind of saddened that I'll never get the chance to keep them now!

TwoHedWlf

Huh, didn't think they'd handle water all the way down to 5°C. Maybe I should put some in my pond and see how they survive.

BettaPonic

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom