WCMM Breeding

sto0ka
Hi,

My minnows are constantly breeding, but both eggs and fry (if any hatches) is hunted and eaten by my Betta.
Now I got breeding box (small floating one for tank and I'm planning to put 3 minnows with huge belly in it tonight.
Question is should I put 1-2 male WCMM into that box or just females ?

Also there is V shaped plastic that is supposed to separate eggs from parent as soon they drop - I guess I should remove it so male can fertilize eggs.
Or maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone knows what to do ?

flyinGourami
I have never bred any fish, so I would wait for other opinions, but I would just stick some moss in there or make/get a spawning mop and put it into the tank. The adults will lay the eggs in the moss or spawning mop, and you can transfer the moss or mop to the breeder net and raise them there.

sto0ka
Huh, I'll try to separate them anyway for a few days just to see if anything happens. Just not sure if I need both female and male in that breeding box

chromedome52
If you don't have both sexes present at the same time, the eggs don't get fertilized. I would be surprised if you got any eggs by placing them in a box inside the tank. There just isn't enough space for the chasing that most minnow type fish need to do when spawning.

sto0ka
Yeah i realized that as soon I've put them into that spawning box

They looked so sad and unhappy so I decided to release them straight away. Ah well, at least betta is eating nice food

Doig
When minnows breed they chase vigorously after the female. She would need room to escape and de-stress. Other wise, the males will chase her to death. In my experience they do not eat their own eggs nor fry. But your other fishes will eat it.

wateriswet
I had good success breeding my WCMM like this. I bought a 1 gallon tank with filter and light for $10 at a chain pet store. It cycled really fast since I put the pre-filter sponge from my bigger tank in it and took cuttings from my stem plants. I also added a big chunk of java moss and arranged it so that there were secluded corners for fish to hide as the male will really chase the females. Then I added 3 female and 1 male and left them in there for about 2 days. The eggs are tiny and mostly clear so they are hard to spot. Once I saw eggs, I move the adults back to the main tank. It was so fun to watch the microscopic babies hatch. They were so small and stuck to the glass or plants for about the first week, almost like they were anchored. Then they become free swimming but spend all their time on the surface before finally turning into iridescent mini-me's of their parents. The adolescents are so much brighter than my adults! You might consider doing something similar if you really want to breed and get a good yield. You'll also want something to feed the fry and can either grind up normal food or buy a pouch of First Bites for about a dollar and it will last you through several batches of fry. Good luck and let us know what you try!

Latest threads

Top Bottom