Wc Schedule, Nano Beginner, Shrimp Paradise

Florian Pellet

Hey all,

I've never kept a nano tank. My big tanks are high-tech and equipped with drip systems making maintenance extremely easy. I now have a 11g cube with 10 blue sapphire neocaridinas, equipped with an Aquael Turbo Filter 500 (sponge + small bio-media compartment) and a Chihiros C-Serie light. The only plants are java moss on mangrove wood.

My goal is to create a shrimp paradise. Would you mind helping me with this? I feel like a beginner all over again!

So far I've been changing water pretty regularly (25% every other day) for various reasons (like I had dripped some water out to acclimate more shrimps, I had made a mess adding moss, I forgot the lid and tons of dog hair got into the water...). But I'd like to find a nice rhythm. What would be reasonable to keep shrimps thriving without stressing them out from too much WCs?

What else can I do to make them happy? I've tuned the flow down a bit from the filter (otherwise it's almost a river biotope! This is a very very good filter!!). I've added an almond leaf. I might add a cuttlebone whenever I find someone with a dead bird and equipment to unload...

Thanks.

PS: I'm not an actual beginner, I know about testing water, looking up ideal conditions, treating diseases, quarantining and all. But since I've never tried a nano tank, nor a shrimp breeding tank, I figured some of you might be willing / happy to share the wealth (meaning knowledge!).

PPS: all females are berried and about to explode from the ton of eggs they are carrying

RyleighJ

From what I've learned in the hobby, the main reason to do WCs is to remove nitrates and waste (which I'm sure you know, but I'm getting to my point haha). I can't imagine a shrimp only tank will produce much of either, so I don't see why you'd have to do large or frequent water changes.

I think your best course of action would be to get your nitrates down to 0* and then test the tank for nitrates every few days. However many days it takes to get to a change-able level is how long you should go between water changes.

* As close to 0 as you can get in a cycled tank

Florian Pellet

From what I've learned in the hobby, the main reason to do WCs is to remove nitrates and waste (which I'm sure you know, but I'm getting to my point haha). I can't imagine a shrimp only tank will produce much of either, so I don't see why you'd have to do large or frequent water changes.

I think your best course of action would be to get your nitrates down to 0* and then test the tank for nitrates every few days. However many days it takes to get to a change-able level is how long you should go between water changes.

* As close to 0 as you can get in a cycled tank
In my other tanks, I also have shrimps and snails to take care of uneaten food, loads of plants to absorb nitrate, different predators to regulate shrimps and snails population... I'm not really used to taking uneaten food out. How quickly would this foul the water?

Asking this because if you say shrimps won't produce much nitrate, food waste might.

RyleighJ

In my other tanks, I also have shrimps and snails to take care of uneaten food, loads of plants to absorb nitrate, different predators to regulate shrimps and snails population... I'm not really used to taking uneaten food out. How quickly would this foul the water?

Asking this because if you say shrimps won't produce much nitrate, food waste might.
That's a good point. Hm... I think it might depend what kind of food you put in, how much the shrimp eat, and if you remove leftovers immediately after. I imagine pellets and flakes would make a lot more mess than wafers since it's so much easier to pluck out the leftover wafers.

Florian Pellet

A couple pictures to entice more responses

c8df824571c8a52674d6825612ee2f29.jpg

f3d546e7cf9e5d2958e3ae7a2a203d00.jpg

That's a good point. Hm... I think it might depend what kind of food you put in, how much the shrimp eat, and if you remove leftovers immediately after. I imagine pellets and flakes would make a lot more mess than wafers since it's so much easier to pluck out the leftover wafers.
I give them some sort of small wafer especially made for shrimps. But since they're only 10 for now, they never eat the whole thing.

Mike A

If you feed them vegetables like zucchini, I would put it on the end of a skewer then pull it out after a few hours.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EricV
Replies
Views
QueenLittleLizard
  • Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies