Ways To Speed Up Water Changes Question

1. remy113

remy113 Valued Member Member

So I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make my water changes quicker. I have a 30g tank that isn’t super close to a sink. Right now I’m currently running buckets. I picked up a cheap gravel vac from Walmart. It works well. I vac into a 5g bucket in the ground then dump the bucket in the toilet. I do roughly a 30% change weekly(so ten gallons). Then I refill with said 5 gallon after cleaning things like scraping build up off. So I’m wondering if there could be an easier cheaper way. Any ideas

30g
    Penguin 200
    A 5 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 sponge filter
    Air stone
    78 f*
    1 plant of java moss my first attempt at a planted tank
    2 plecos. They will be rehomed in time when the place can take them
    3 platys
    3 mystery snails
    IMG_1471.JPG

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Invest in a python. They have them in sizes up to 75 feet long. There’s also a an aqueon version of it.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on how much you want to spend to make it more efficient.

I use a pond pump to take all the water out and use a python system to refill the tank.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Get an $8 water pump off of Amazon to bring water from the bucket up into the tank instead of lifting and dumping

5. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You can also YouTube ways to make your own python system for much less than you can buy it - if you are crafty/handy. I change 50% of my 34 gallon tank & refill in under 30 minutes with my Python.

6. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

Use the outlet of your canister filter to a hose or buy a large power head and hose to suit I use 1400lph pump and 19mm hose gets it done quick plus water isn't wasted goes to garden and or lawns and then quick sweep of gravel vac into bucket which also I recycle

7. OP
    OP
    remy113

remy113 Valued Member Member

8. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

My bad was viewing on my phone now inside can see clearly is a hob. Quickest way still is large power head hose to suit or if you want to go next level pond pump

9. Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde Valued Member Member

Agree on the pump. I just bought 3 SunSun's from Amazon because they were dirt cheap, $12 ea. claim they will pump 300 gals per hour. I can see running some hose (figure out what will fit and make it long enough to go outside or to the tub or wherever), drop the pump in the tank and plug it in. Probably would want to keep an eye on the livestock while that's running.