Ways To Speed Up Water Changes Question

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by remy113, Jun 19, 2018.

1. remy113

remy113Valued MemberMember

So I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make my water changes quicker. I have a 30g tank that isn’t super close to a sink. Right now I’m currently running buckets. I picked up a cheap gravel vac from Walmart. It works well. I vac into a 5g bucket in the ground then dump the bucket in the toilet. I do roughly a 30% change weekly(so ten gallons). Then I refill with said 5 gallon after cleaning things like scraping build up off. So I’m wondering if there could be an easier cheaper way. Any ideas

30g
    Penguin 200
    A 5 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 sponge filter
    Air stone
    78 f*
    1 plant of java moss my first attempt at a planted tank
    2 plecos. They will be rehomed in time when the place can take them
    3 platys
    3 mystery snails
    IMG_1471.JPG

2. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Invest in a python. They have them in sizes up to 75 feet long. There’s also a an aqueon version of it.

3. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

It depends on how much you want to spend to make it more efficient.

I use a pond pump to take all the water out and use a python system to refill the tank.

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Get an $8 water pump off of Amazon to bring water from the bucket up into the tank instead of lifting and dumping

5. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

You can also YouTube ways to make your own python system for much less than you can buy it - if you are crafty/handy. I change 50% of my 34 gallon tank & refill in under 30 minutes with my Python.

6. 83jaseValued MemberMember

Use the outlet of your canister filter to a hose or buy a large power head and hose to suit I use 1400lph pump and 19mm hose gets it done quick plus water isn't wasted goes to garden and or lawns and then quick sweep of gravel vac into bucket which also I recycle

7. OP
    OP
    remy113

8. 83jaseValued MemberMember

My bad was viewing on my phone now inside can see clearly is a hob. Quickest way still is large power head hose to suit or if you want to go next level pond pump

9. Pescado_Verde

Pescado_VerdeWell Known MemberMember

Agree on the pump. I just bought 3 SunSun's from Amazon because they were dirt cheap, $12 ea. claim they will pump 300 gals per hour. I can see running some hose (figure out what will fit and make it long enough to go outside or to the tub or wherever), drop the pump in the tank and plug it in. Probably would want to keep an eye on the livestock while that's running.

10. bzambo66

bzambo66Valued MemberMember

In terms of adding water, can you add water straight from the tap and condition it in the tank, or should I fill up a 5 gallon bucket, condition that and then add the bucket?

The only issue with the latter is if I'm water changing 15 gallons that's 3 buckets and that's annoying to do.

Any suggestions...

11. 83jaseValued MemberMember

I got 30ltr buckets I mix prime in and temp match yes it's pain in the bum but you get over it I believe this is the best way to do it it's all mixed and temp matched for minimal stress

12. bzambo66

bzambo66Valued MemberMember

So how do you dump a giant 30 liter bucket into your tank? Couldn't you use maybe a water pump and pump the water in that way?

13. OP
    OP
    remy113

I use a 5gallon bucket that I lift and slowly pour in

14. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

I put my Prime directly in the tank and then fill it from the sink. I can't lift heavy buckets (bad shoulders/elbow) and certainly don't refill it with my 1 gallon jug which is what I use for my smaller tanks!

15. mossmanValued MemberMember

Curious how you guy dechlorinate when using the Python. Do you dose the tank first then add the new water? I imagine this subjects the fish to chlorine if even for a few minutes until everything mixes.

16. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

When using a python type system you just dose for the whole capacity of the tank for the partial water change. I normally add prime right after I turn the sink on for the refill after vacuuming.

17. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I shoot some Stress Coat or Prime into the tank and let er pour.

18. mossmanValued MemberMember

I see. What about all that water that is sitting inside the 50' of hose once you are done refilling? Just put your thumb over the end, walk it over to the sink, and drain it?

And what if you want to give your sponge filter a rinse in used water? Do you just rinse it inside the tank prior to draining it?

19. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

As far as the sponge filter goes, just use the regular syphon to get some water from the tank into a bucket and rinse the sponge.

20. MinnowetteWell Known MemberMember

I'll put in a vote of support for a pond pump. Mine is adjustable between 200-1000 L/hour (50-250 gal./hour), and I connected it with a piece of hose to a nearby bathroom: weekly 50% water changes on a 47 gallon are a breeze.

Water conditioner goes straight into the tank prior to filling with new water, and I take the filter media out and rinse it under the old tank water as it comes out the hose while draining the tank (I don't rinse it in the tank itself).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice