Ways To Lower Ph?

1. T

ThePuzzleMaker Member Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a 40g a 30g and a 10g and want to breed apistos but my ph is 7.5
    I know that they breed at about 6.5ph so I have to lower it quite a bit
    What methods could I use to lower ph naturally? Not interested in chemicals

I`ve heard about almond leaves, driftwood and Sphagnum moss. But I don`t how many would I need. Could I lower it to 6.5 from 7.5?
    Need suggestions :)

2. ktorg

ktorg Member Member

Actually, there are several species that should be fine breeding in your water. A. cacatuoides and A. borellii being two of the more common ones. Water hardness is another factor in getting a successful spawn from them.

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I've bred apistos, rams, and discus for years in hard 7.6 water. Ph isn't important for freshwater aquariums as long as you keep it stable. your going to have issues keeping your water stable after every water change and therefore, don't even bother with messing with the ph. However, I do recommend indian almonds leaves for the breeding aquarium since these help lower stress for the fish and have antif fungal properties for the eggs.

4. OP
    OP
    T

ThePuzzleMaker Member Member

Then I shouldn`t worry too much about it?
    I think I`ll get a piece of driftwood and some almond leaves to help them feel secure and everything.
    Do you know how much almond leaves last before rotting?

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I normally put in another handful every 6 months or so. But they are pretty deterioted by that time especially if you have shrimp.

6. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

The easiest way to get your pH down and maintain it there is to cut your tap water with RO water. Around here, they sell RO water in machines outside the grocery stores. I just bring my own bottle. Gradually replace your tank water until the pH is where you want it. The make sure you change out the same percentages of tap and RO water every week thereafter.

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’d go with an 80/20 RO/Tap mix.

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

If they are wildcaught then I would suggest lowering pH. Otherwise, they will do fine in 7.5...