Ways To Humanly Euthanize Snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by LittleBlueGuppy, Jul 21, 2019.

1. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Hi, what are some ways to humanly euthanize snail? I just had about 50 baby bladder snails hatch out and I don’t want to sit there and crush 50 baby snails. Is there something I can ad to the water that would humanly make them all just fall asleep and not wake up?(btw, they are currently separated in a little cup)

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Read this.
    Humane method of Euthanasia for sick fish

3. OP
    OP
    LittleBlueGuppy

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

5. Pukkafish

PukkafishValued MemberMember

I agree, usually petco keeps assasin snails with their plants. Get a few of those and they’ll do the work for you, so you don’t have to euthanize them and it’s deeding another animal so they’re not going to waste.

6. OP
    OP
    LittleBlueGuppy

Hmmm, what temperature do assassins need?

You see, the bladder snails are in a bucket outside (it has a filter and a bunch of plants), but the bucket was for some rescued tadpoles and there are also a few ramshorns in it. I was going to move the ramshorns to my indoor tank once the tadpoles morph into frogs (the bucket was only supposed to be temporary) I could move the ramshorns early and get assassins, but what would I do the the assassins after the tadpoles morph into frogs and I am taking the bucket down? (As soon as the the tadpoles become frogs the bucket has to be gone, my parents don’t want the bucket staying there).

7. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

They don't have the same type of nervous system fish or other animals have, so not exactly, but at the same time any method that would kill them would work. They are much more "insect" brained and an insect can live without a head for a decent amount of time.

8. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

im not sure on how painless it is but i know anything with copper in it will kill them pretty quickly. it also kills most inverts and if you dont dose it right you may lose things other than the snails.
    that being said- if you have them in a separate cup of just snails then it should be fine. id suggest seachems cupramine if you decide to go the chemical route.