Ways To Get Rid Of Bba?

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone,
I recently got hit with some Black brush/bread algae. It's still realtivley small, but I don't want it to get out of hand. Anyone know what might be causing it to grow? Anyone have ways of getting rid of it? I was reading around and found the 1-2 punch method and spot treating with H2O2, but the horror stories of losing full tanks worth of stocking makes me wary of using chemical methods like that.

Thanks.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reactions
2,548
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you don't go crazy on the chemicals - particularly H2O2 (uts mildly toxic if that) - you will be fine. I believe most seem to suggest dosing no higher than a 1m/L per 5 gallons or so (I'd suggest 10 gallon if your worried)...
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,372
Reactions
3,653
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Yes, poor flow/water distribution and low CO2 coupled with light causes it. Spot dosing with a syringe is relatively safe.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Gersh

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
As long as you don't go crazy on the chemicals - particularly H2O2 (uts mildly toxic if that) - you will be fine. I believe most seem to suggest dosing no higher than a 1m/L per 5 gallons or so (I'd suggest 10 gallon if your worried)...
So I have a 55 gallon. I would ned 11mL? And I would just pour it in with the filters off? How long would I let it circulate?

-Mak- said:
Yes, poor flow/water distribution and low CO2 coupled with light causes it. Spot dosing with a syringe is relatively safe.
I have decent waterflow. My outflow is pointed down and I have a wave maker that is pointed at the surface. I get a pretty good circular motion when I add food. As for low CO2 I don't have any CO2 dosing. The only thing giving CO2 is fish using O2. I'd spot dose, but I need a more systemic knock out.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,424
Reactions
6,751
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
H2O2 breaks down to H2O (water) and O2 (oxygen) in a few mins in a tank so dosing the whole tank for specific areas is not going to help much. It will help with algae blooms and some breeders use it to add oxygen to fry tanks.

Turn off anything that moves water (filter, wavemaker, powerhead, etc). Get a syringe and squirt a few ml in the area with BBA. Wait about 5-10 mins and turn on whatever you turned off.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Gersh

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:
H2O2 breaks down to H2O (water) and O2 (oxygen) in a few mins in a tank so dosing the whole tank for specific areas is not going to help much. It will help with algae blooms and some breeders use it to add oxygen to fry tanks.

Turn off anything that moves water (filter, wavemaker, powerhead, etc). Get a syringe and squirt a few ml in the area with BBA. Wait about 5-10 mins and turn on whatever you turned off.
So you just slowly try and knock out sections at a time?
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,424
Reactions
6,751
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
Gersh said:
So you just slowly try and knock out sections at a time?
Yep. Usually 1 or 2 treatments should do it. If you need a 2nd dose, wait a day or two.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reactions
2,548
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
Yep. Usually 1 or 2 treatments should do it. If you need a 2nd dose, wait a day or two.
Yep, light will cause it to dissociate in a couple of hours forming H2O and O2, hence why its stored in a dark bottle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Gersh

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:
Yep. Usually 1 or 2 treatments should do it. If you need a 2nd dose, wait a day or two.
So if I have it bits and pieces everywhere, how much should I treat at a time?
 

toran

Active Member
Member
Messages
325
Reactions
86
Location
Mobile, Alabama
Experience
3 years
Everyone has a different method that works for them.
I had it (and I hope all the spores are gone).
I tried the 1-2 punch, lost several leaves.
I tried the spot dose, no difference.

What I did was cut my lights to 8 hours, 4 on, 3 off, 4 on. I took almost every plant out, not all at once, and with my fingers pulled the tuft off. I spent hours. I boiled the rocks and driftwood and let them dry a few days. Some leaves had too many on the leaf (they were 1-2 hairs in the tuft) so I just cut off the whole leaf.
It took a few weeks to go through everything. Week before last I found some on 3 plants I didn't root up, just checked and cleaned during a PWC. I pulled the tufts off and am hoping that's the end!
I hope an easier method works for you but if not...
I read on fishlore someone used tweezers to pull off the tuft.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reactions
2,548
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
Gersh said:
So if I have it bits and pieces everywhere, how much should I treat at a time?
Try to do as much as you can with one go. Any you miss, do the following day.

Likewise, try to find the root source of what's causing the BBA... otherwise it just come back - this is like a bandaid fix.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Gersh

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Try to do as much as you can with one go. Any you miss, do the following day.

Likewise, try to find the root source of what's causing the BBA... otherwise it just come back - this is like a bandaid fix.
What are some causes? I would rather do a long term fix than a band aid.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reactions
2,548
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of people have noticed a reduction on BBA when they increase water circulation. That, and using CO2 (like DIY, pressurised or liquid)


I may of missed it, but light cycle? Imbalance of ferts - particularly macro ferts?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Gersh

Gersh

Active Member
Member
Messages
367
Reactions
62
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
A lot of people have noticed a reduction on BBA when they increase water circulation. That, and using CO2 (like DIY, pressurised or liquid)


I may of missed it, but light cycle? Imbalance of ferts - particularly macro ferts?
Current light cycle is 7 hours (8am to 3pm). I've heard alternating lights on and off (3rh on - 2hr off - 3hr on) has helped keep it at bay. I run a 528gph wavemaker as well as a sunsun 304b filter. I don't think my flow is an issue but I maybe? For CO2, how do you DIY it? I would do pressurized but that's 100 ish bucks I don't have. I was dosing Seachem Flourish a while but ran out. I recently got a new bottle and was going to start dosing again.

I have some Excel. I have heard that it is good to dose with algae. Should I try using it?
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reactions
2,548
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
Excel would be good, dose small and increase over time so it doesn't shock the plants/inhabitants and see if that makes a difference.

DIY there's multiple ways to do so. One way is to use sugar and yeast OR critic acid and baking soda...
Link (has receipe and such):


The only thing I'd reccomend is to have a small bottle between the last bottle for the reactor and the tank, so if any of the reactants make their way up the tube, it doesn't empty into the tank and the spare empty bottle is used as a failsafe.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
81
Guests online
1,828
Total visitors
1,909

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom