way to go petsmart

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have to give them props for the latest discovery I made on their site.

I haven't read it all through but it looks like a good basic guide, hopefully they'll expand on this and set something up like this in the store also.

Sure, it's not perfect, but rome wasn't built in a day.

FiremouthGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
YES! THANK YOU PETSMART!

Someone finally got through to them. Hopefully PetCo follows in their footsteps.

Hsunami

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
its a good start...but i hope the workers actually learn it. It being on the site won't help customers who do not use the internet. Or even bother going to the petsmart website

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LiveAquaria also has some Goldfish info that I stumbled apon. It was pretty good too! Not sure what else they had, as I found it through google

Natedawg879

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got goose bumps when I saw this Way to go petsmart!

Eylisia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The PetSmart here by me is actually pretty good, it probably makes a difference that their manager is a fish person

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah our Petsmart has all of that info in pamphlets that they have available in the store, in addition to baisic info on the individual fish. Our petsmart is fairly good and fish are healthy for the most part, but I have found the long term health of the fish is poor. They are probably subjected to ammonia and other poor conditions before the store gets them, which would have health effects latter in life.

ilovemyfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hope that there employees learn this, i hate when the employees there have to ask for someone else to come explain stuff for them...

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it still needs some 'tweeking' ... but it is better then the usual info that most of the employees give in person.

For instance... "Add a few hardy fish such as danios, gouramis or livebearers that can withstand the presence of ammonia and nitrites." --maybe its just me but I don't recall that gouramis are great in a cycling tank. Never mind that they could suggest to cycle without fish at all.

and "replace 10% of the water per week, and 25% per month"....? Great if you have a large tank thats not overstocked... but I digress

And of course my personal favorite was the advise to change the filter cartridge once a month and scrub down the tank... perfect way to re-cycle once a month

...ah well, at least they had the nitrogen cycle info. That is a big step.

moobtastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wow *applaud*

Borisbbadd

Way to go Petsmart....

FiremouthGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like your edit Jeta... Rome was NOT built in a day! It is pretty good really, it contains the standard information that you see in the books.

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yay I hope they keep it up

g.low

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Petsmart I go to is pretty good. Their fish, bird, and reptile manager got me out of trouble with my fish when another LPS got me into trouble telling me that my tank had cycled and I could add more fish. That lead to weeks of daily water changes. She also assisted me when I had sick fishes and displayed a lot of knowledge. I just went through a fishless cycling (using pure ammonia) on a 5 gallon tank to be used as a Hospital or Quarantine tank and I am going to provide her that information since she was not aware of it--she really appreciates any new information. The fishless cycling was completed in 14 days ending with a Nitrate level of 40. After 2 water changes it came down to 10 and fish were added--that was 1 month ago and I haven't noted any problems with the 2 Cory Cat fish and the tank has stayed cycled. I am sold on this way to cycle as I am sure I must have weakened some of my fishes with ammonia when I started my first tank even though I did all of the water changes to keep the ammonia level down.

I wish they would have included fishless cycling in their published information, however, for most newbes this is good basic information.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
newbie just took advice from Pet-Smarts

! clarifed with employee when I heard the
Shine said:
and "replace 10% of the water per week, and 25% per month"....? Great if you have a large tank thats not overstocked...
She said yes "both" I told her that means in a month you are replacing 65% of the water, in a month and 35% at one go, which sounds EXTREMELY WRONG, please get a manager to repeat what you just said.

Shine said:
And of course my personal favorite was the advise to change the filter cartridge once a month and scrub down the tank... perfect way to re-cycle once a month
Here i don't know the answer, but I was told to start cycle, with bio every day for 3 days, Did so, waited 8 days, added 6 feeder goldfish, one died the next day 2 more died for next 2 days. Final fish swimming around with no ammonia, and high Nitrates, and had water tested, turns out 20 Gallon filter in 10 GAL tank with 6 goldfish doesn't work.

The staff person said use the feeder fish like Canaries, to see if the tank is fully cycled. Newbie boo-boo

same store offered to sell me 8 year old master kit for 50% off. I did'nt fall for it, I think the kit has exxpired an owner ago

Now I was told to add fish and then add the Bio stuff?? and restart the cycle??

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in the water test log area, they said that some ammonia and nitrite was within "normal" range. i am not sure how this could be.....if a tank is cycled and properly cared for, there should not be any of either.

so while i think it is really great they have started educating people about fishkeeping, there is still some tweaking they need to do on the info....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom