Waver/Wilbur's Babies Hatched

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Vyvid, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Vyvid

Vyvid Well Known Member Member

Over 700 at last count

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438110246.948939.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438110256.753545.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438110266.158014.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438110294.639513.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438110308.145669.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG! How sweet! you really counted 700??????????????

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Oh my, is that a record? Are you in over your head yet? How on earth did you count them? On the bright side , instead of counting sheep to fall asleep you can count baby crays.:;hi1Love that last picture. Congrats I think:confused:. Alison

4. aliray

How's Waver doing today and how are they babies? She must be exhausted. Alison:;balloons

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats!

6. OP
    OP
    Vyvid

Waver is doing great. She's back in her little coconut cave.

I counted when I removed the babies. I found a pile of them eating a very high end painted fire red mama shrimp. I don't know if she died on her own or they attacked her but I wasn't taking any chances. I've moved them to a holding tank with ceramic bio noodles as little caves and a surface to grow bio film they seem to be doing very well.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438200087.150838.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438200098.956957.jpg

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

How cute! Congrats on your new little ones! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. aliray

Love your idea for baby caves. Good thinking. Alison

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG! The bio noodles are a great idea until they get bigger!!!! So adorable! Congratulations!

10. OP
    OP
    Vyvid

Got it from a user in a Facebook group I'm in. It really is perfect!

11. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Some people use them for little hiding spots for Cory fry as well :)

That's a ton of babies though lol

12. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

That is just fantastic!

That'll be a lot of crayfish once they're grown up! :)

13. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

OMG, what do you plan to do with them all? Talk about a major case of MTS in the making! They are adorable and I agree, the last one of the photos on the original post is absolutely gorgeous. Keep them coming, I can't wait to hear how the babies develop!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    Vyvid

I'm hoping to sell most of them. I've sent out my first 30 already :)
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438571121.101151.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438571153.030185.jpg

15. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Crayfish babies are pretty cute!

16. w

Wow! How much are you asking for them? And how big are they so far? It might just be camera angle with the close ups but they look like they're growing fast. Is that anacharis that the baby is on in the second to the last of the pictures?

17. OP
    OP
    Vyvid

They are under 1/2" right now. I've done some experiments with shipping these newborns trying to gauge survivability. If they do well I will start selling them very soon for maybe around 5.00 with some kind of 14-30 day guarantee as they are susceptible to death in the first few molts. That is naja anacharis. They have about tripled in size (some quadrupled) :)

18. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

How much are you selling them for?

Kyle

Never mind the question i wasn't reading lol

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  19. w

So how did the experiments go with shipping them? How often do they usually molt at this point in their lives?

Edit to add: I may have created a monster. I left my phone out and had not closed the app down before setting it down so my son found the pics you posted of the babies. He is now quite literally jumping up and down going "Can we get one, Mommy? Can we get one? They are so adorable and I would take them all if we could! Please, can we get one? Please-please-please-PLEASE?!?!?"

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    Vyvid

They have molted a couple times. :)

Experiment went well. Only 1 death out of 40 sent. All still thriving. I think I will be comfortable selling them in a couple weeks :)

Your little one is so cute!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice