Wave patterns in sand?

redfin

I have a 10 gal tank that I am going to re-aquascape. Plan on putting in sand for the substrate but would like to add the appearance of wave patterns to the surface of the sand that you might see at the beach or in a river. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Lucy

HI welcome to FishLore

Have you thought of using a (clean never seen soap) small spatula? Not the kind used for flipping, the kind that's used for getting the last bit of yummy brownie mix out of the mixing bowl. lol

After vacuuming, you might have to do some touch ups.

redfin

This link (one of the June aquarium photo contest submissions) kind of shows what I mean:

Lucy

Lynda's tank. She did a nice job didn't she?
While waiting for others to respond, I'll send her a message and ask her to take a look at this thread when she signs on.

catsma_97504

Welcome to Fishlore redfin!

Well, I can't speak for others, but my sand never stays the same from day to day. Between the fish poking around and moving sand and my water changes, every day is different. Although, when I decide its time to do a deeper cleaning to release the nitrogen, my sand ends up in small piles across the tank. Then, between the water current from my filtration, and the fish, in 2-3 days, it's flattened out again.

What kind of fish do you have in your tank? If you have bottom dwellers, I do not believe you'll be able to maintain a specific look with your sand.

Good luck!

redfin

I currently have 2+ Platys (they're having babies as we speak) and 3 Harlequin Rasboras. BTW here's a photo, found on the web, of another example of what I am talking about (see attachment).

catsma_97504

Since you do not have bottom dwellers, the effect might last longer that it does for me. I have cories, bolivian rams and a 6 inch pleco in my 90G tank.

Here's how it looks after a cleaning as I just pile up the sand/flourite when cleaning without much thought to how it looks:

And, here's how it looks in less than a week:

redfin

Thanks, everyone! I'll still watch for more replies,

Lucy

redfin, I forgot, Lynda is away. I'm sure she'll reply when she gets back

Butterfly

Those look to be different depths of sand instead of just wave patterns. Since you don't have bottom dwellers you might get it to stay the way you want it
I'm with catsma I have loaches, corys and plecs the bottom of my sand tank looks different every morning
Carol

Jaysee

Also, the size of the grains of sand it important. Very fine sand forms really cool drifts.

Amano

In some of my tanks I have that pattern. But it never works if you have anything that will look in the gravel for food or swish it around, or move it to make territorial marks.

I have never done this to a tank which has been running, with fish. But this is how I have don it to empty tanks.

IME when you do that just do it by hand, adding the sand till it is say 1'' deep. Then simply make hills and wave patterns you like. Once that is done then add a large plate and a cup on top of the plate and very slowly fill. That takes the rough edges out of the sand. And dose not make a mess.

The next step is the filtration! Depending on the fish you have and plants as to how much currant is needed. But adding plants helps solve the flow issue.

Hope this helps.

LyndaB

redfin said:
This link (one of the June aquarium photo contest submissions) kind of shows what I mean:
Hi, just returned from vacation an hour ago. Lucy, thanks for the PM!

I'm very flattered that you like my tank. I'm not much for a level substrate, whether sand or gravel. I don't really do anything special to get my sand in the "pattern" you see. Rather, I just drift my fingers through it to remove any possible gas pockets and then the kuhlI loaches do the actual design for me by just moving around. So, I'm afraid I can't take the credit for how it ends up looking. ops:

Catsma, love your "before" look!

jwokmuba2

heres a pic of what my cories love to do in my tank, makes the sand look like it has waves,

Butterfly

jwokmuba2 said:
heres a pic of what my cories love to do in my tank, makes the sand look like it has waves,
Yep mine either looks like that or little dimples in the sand where the Kuhlis/Corys have been sticking their noses in the sand all night
carol

Latest threads

Top Bottom