Wave makers Question

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen some videos about wave makers. What are your opinions? I have a 40 gallon planted tank.

2. Thai Aquarium owner

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +45
    IMO , if you use a wave maker in your planted tank, you will run the likely hood of damaging your plants, or possibly uprooting them

3. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +46
    It would help if you were to say why you feel that you need one in a freshwater tank, I think.
    Strong currents can be had by other methods, such as filter outlet placement.
    I only mention this as I tend to be the sort who, at 3 AM, watches something on TV and becomes convinced that life, as I know it, cannot proceed without a handy dandy waffle and suit jacket straightener ( buy now and get our famous, Satisfaction Guaranteed or No Money Back Lifetime Warranty). :) not poking fun here at anyone but myself, btw, rick

4. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering about movement in the tank. I understood that some fish like more movement than others.

5. Anthony10

Anthony10 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Then I would use a power head, it's just a small aquatic fan that pushes water around the tank. I bought two for my 75gal and they work great! Cheap to, I think both costed me around 20$!

-Anthony

6. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Ratings:
    +1
    I believe the wave makers that I am speaking of is the same thing. I originally had a powerhead in the tank because of an UGF which I removed. The wave maker that I'm speaking of is just a little fan that you attached to the sides of the tank with the suction cup. Around five dollars each on eBay

7. Anthony10

Anthony10 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! That's the one! :)

-Anthony

8. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Ratings:
    +1
    So what do you think? I thought maybe getting 2 putting on each side and angeling them so they had the water go around the entire tank

9. Anthony10

Anthony10 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good!

-Anthony