Watts per gallon.

1. gouramiguy88 Member Member

Im sorry for this dumb question but i got myself totally confused on the rates.

I have a 54 gallon tank... how many watts do i need to acheive 1.5 watts per gallon?

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

36 watts...divide 1.5 into 54....or whatever tank size you are working with.

3. gouramiguy88 Member Member

thanks buddy, thats what i had thought..

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

54x1.5=81.
    You'll need 81W. However, WPG is misleading. IMO you'd be better off to go with HO T5s at a lower wattage than 81W of normal output flourescents. What is the measurement of your tank (I assume this is a 54 corner tank) from side to side, where you would place your lights?

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Now I'm confused...lolol....sorry I was way wrong....and TY harpua!!!!
    that a big dah for me!!...why am i confused???...the wording!!

6. gouramiguy88 Member Member

yeah its a bowfronted.. soo around 80 watts?

no big deal ted

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, but I asked for the dimensions from side to side where the lighting goes so I could help suggest some lighting. I really think HO T5 will be the way to go for a planted tank given the footprint of the 54 corner.

8. gouramiguy88 Member Member

um the length were the lighthood can go is about 30 inches long

and im guessing about 6 or 7 inches high

so your suggesting i get a marine lighting system of a lower dose?.

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

10. gouramiguy88 Member Member

so about the second one..

should i get the 24" x 5-1/2" Saltwater; 48 watt, CD-29695 ??

is the 48 watts enough?

11. gouramiguy88 Member Member

is that the one i should get?

12. cwb141 Member Member

To get equal lighting throughout the tank will be hard. I see that you don't have live plants in your 70 gallon so providing light for them isn't an issue. I would recommend try to have between 1-1.5 watts (which you're looking for) and then deciding on the color effect of your lights. More natural lights are in the 5,500K range while 10,000K are more bluish (marine effect). The length of 24" might be the right size so that you can center it more above the tank.

From the 2nd page I would get this one instead of one with actinic bulbs.
    24" x 5-1/2" Freshwater; 48 watt, CD-29698

If your budget is flexible you could do the first one. You might find similar lighting for lower prices if you search around.

13. gouramiguy88 Member Member

so you think that one will work?

the 48 watt on the second page?

14. cwb141 Member Member

I think it would be fine, though your tank might be too tall. You would have to upgrade the lighting in the future if you chose to have live plants as well.

15. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

what about a 30 gallon (29H) or so, 30" long 12" wide and 18" tall

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I disagree. For low light plants, that light would be fine. If you've never used HO T5s before, the difference between those and normal output flourescents, or even power compacts, is shocking. I used to work at a LFS and the owner used 2x54W HO T5s over all the 55 gallon tanks. I had a 2x65W PC fixture over my own 55 gallon and the ones at the shop were noticeably brighter even though the wattage was lower. The HO T5s have pretty much ruled out the WPG "guideline" IMO.

17. gouramiguy88 Member Member

thanks harpua.

yeah im deff going with the HO T5's.

plus i already have the tank so im not going out to buy a 30 gallon =/

18. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Remember, you're still going to be limited to low light plants with a 48W T5 fixture. If you want more options for plants, I'd suggest a 4 bulb T5 fixture, but you may end up dosing and using CO2.

19. gouramiguy88 Member Member

yeah thats what i was planning on..

just using low light plans.

thanks you have been alot of help