Important Waterchange + Abf = ???

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am going to be doing a 25% water change tomorrow and I have an ABF in the tank. I always do the water changes with the lid off and I am scared if I do it could jump out and die...
How would I do this water change without the ABFs death?
*It has already almost jumped once during feeding... *

PeteStevers

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm assuming the ABF has been added since your last water change. Can you cover the tank with something while you slip the siphon through a small area he can't fit through? Then open it up just enough to get the water back in the tank and quickly cover it back up between buckets or however you fill your tank?

OP
NC122606

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PeteStevers said:
I'm assuming the ABF has been added since your last water change. Can you cover the tank with something while you slip the siphon through a small area he can't fit through? Then open it up just enough to get the water back in the tank and quickly cover it back up between buckets or however you fill your tank?
Ok, So am I good with Vacuuming my Sand?
Or what if I lowered the water level a little bit quickly and then Vaccum?

PeteStevers

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do your maintenance however you do it. Just try to keep the tank covered as much as you can without it becoming a pain in the butt.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To state the obvious, watch it. If it jumps put it back in. I don't gravel vac so mine doesn't care because I'm not near him. If you gravel vac at an angle underneath his hide first, he likely won't notice. They prefer to be still than jump. Feeding and adding things to the tank causes a jump because you are a bird that spotted them, meaning they have to use their last ditch method and jump away. As long as you are slow and don't get to close to them, they don't react.

Do you have jungle val or floating plants for it to hide in? It makes them feel much more secure and less likely to jump.

OP
NC122606

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
To state the obvious, watch it. If it jumps put it back in. I don't gravel vac so mine doesn't care because I'm not near him. If you gravel vac at an angle underneath his hide first, he likely won't notice. They prefer to be still than jump. Feeding and adding things to the tank causes a jump because you are a bird that spotted them, meaning they have to use their last ditch method and jump away. As long as you are slow and don't get to close to them, they don't react.

Do you have jungle val or floating plants for it to hide in? It makes them feel much more secure and less likely to jump.
I do have a full background of Italian Vals!

OP
NC122606

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PeteStevers said:
Can you float that on top of the water?
When I do a water change they are so tall that they do float on the surface.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah that should be fine. Just always try to have about 8 or more of the val leaves that give about a 6 inch coverage on top of the water.

New Threads