Waterchange + Abf = ??? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by NC122606, Jun 18, 2019.

1. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I am going to be doing a 25% water change tomorrow and I have an ABF in the tank. I always do the water changes with the lid off and I am scared if I do it could jump out and die...
    How would I do this water change without the ABFs death?
    *It has already almost jumped once during feeding... :)*

2. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

I'm assuming the ABF has been added since your last water change. Can you cover the tank with something while you slip the siphon through a small area he can't fit through? Then open it up just enough to get the water back in the tank and quickly cover it back up between buckets or however you fill your tank?

3. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ok, So am I good with Vacuuming my Sand?
    Or what if I lowered the water level a little bit quickly and then Vaccum?

4. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Do your maintenance however you do it. Just try to keep the tank covered as much as you can without it becoming a pain in the butt.

5. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

To state the obvious, watch it. If it jumps put it back in. I dont gravel vac so mine doesn't care because I'm not near him. If you gravel vac at an angle underneath his hide first, he likely wont notice. They prefer to be still than jump. Feeding and adding things to the tank causes a jump because you are a bird that spotted them, meaning they have to use their last ditch method and jump away. As long as you are slow and dont get to close to them, they dont react.

Do you have jungle val or floating plants for it to hide in? It makes them feel much more secure and less likely to jump.

6. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I do have a full background of Italian Vals!

7. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Can you float that on top of the water? :)

8. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

When I do a water change they are so tall that they do float on the surface.

9. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Here is a picture of my tank!
    Do you think this is good enough?
    BTW: there is a lot of snails that I am trying to get rid of.

Attached Files:

10. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Yeah that should be fine. Just always try to have about 8 or more of the val leaves that give about a 6 inch coverage on top of the water.