Waterbox Cube 20 Build

PAcanis

As I mentioned in another thread, I am waiting for some more Seiryu Stone to come in because I was not happy with the order I received from Buce. It did not fit the description, nor did they pay attention to the note I attached to my order. And they are currently out of stock of the 30lb package, so I guess I got the bottom of the barrel and that explains it.

Anyway...
I saw MD Fish Tanks on YT use some styrofoam packing material to gain height without weight and added an inch or so pretty much where the rocks are, but not to the sides all the way. I added a little pool filter sand around the edge of the sides and then the rock on top. Not sure why. I'm not going to be able to hide the substrate layers on the side anyway. The front will be "the beach" area. The rocks are Home Depot's Vigoro River Pebbles. I already have another plan for them in the future ;)

And I went ahead and covered the inlet for the rear sump/filter area with black nylon screen and binder clips. Lesson learned from my Cube10.
I was really hoping to have the hardscape done this weekend, but I just can't get a good combination going using the rocks I have and the 17 x 17 area. And this is above my pay grade to begin with, lol.

1.JPG

When the Seiryu Stone is in place I'll cap the pebbles with more sand.

BigManAquatics

Should be fun watching how this evolves!

PAcanis

Thanks for taking an interest BigManAquatics .
It means I suppose I'll have to post more in this dead thread ;)

I finally got my other order of Seiryu in today. I don't know why these sellers ask you to describe the stones you are looking for if they don't actually send you that. I have so many small stones I'll have to take up building pickle jar aquascapes. But I was able to use a few.

So this is where I'm at.

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

Taking a little break right now. It was like building a puzzle without having all the pieces and my mind is fried, lol.
Plus I want to make sure I get some Java Moss ordered in. I want to make my life easier by gluing it where I want it.

BigManAquatics

Thanks for taking an interest BigManAquatics .
It means I suppose I'll have to post more in this dead thread ;)

I finally got my other order of Seiryu in today. I don't know why these sellers ask you to describe the stones you are looking for if they don't actually send you that. I have so many small stones I'll have to take up building pickle jar aquascapes. But I was able to use a few.

So this is where I'm at.

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

Taking a little break right now. It was like building a puzzle without having all the pieces and my mind is fried, lol.
Plus I want to make sure I get some Java Moss ordered in. I want to make my life easier by gluing it where I want it.
I like seeing how people use rocks in their scapes. Don't have any in any of my tanks for now but always like to see how others incorporate them and see if i like their ideas better than my own!

PAcanis

I like seeing how people use rocks in their scapes. Don't have any in any of my tanks for now but always like to see how others incorporate them and see if i like their ideas better than my own!

This will be my first build without driftwood. And it is patterned right off of a build I saw MD Fish Tanks do on the Tube. Right down to the white sand drizzled on the paths :)
I think it's so far so good.

IMG_6923.JPG

I'm sure there will be some tweaking once I get my plants in.

Thanks again for looking.

carsonsgjs

Following this - off to a great start and I really like the rockwork. Any ideas on stock?

PAcanis

Following this - off to a great start and I really like the rockwork. Any ideas on stock?

Thank You.

Platies will be the main focus :)

Flyfisha

Hi all,
Hey PAcanis you have a good eye for scaping.
You mentioned you have been sold more small stones than you really wanted so I thought maybe one of these videos might give you inspiration ?

PAcanis

Hi all,
Hey PAcanis you have a good eye for scaping.
You mentioned you have been sold more small stones than you really wanted so I thought maybe one of these videos might give you inspiration ?

Thank You.
I found the easiest thing was to build one side at a time. Then see what I could do with the rocks left over. Prior to that I was all over the place, even trying to replicate something already done.

I had floss, gel super glue and GE 1 silicon on hand, but did not need any.
But the rocks I have left over are small. Not like what the video is doing/using.
It has given me a great idea though...

More on that at a later time :D
And I already know the stocking.

PAcanis

I made a couple subtle changes.
I was able to make some of the larger rocks into smaller more usable rocks. But once the plants get here I may change things again.

IMG_6925.JPG

IMG_6926.JPG

ChrissFishes01

How do you like the Waterbox tanks? I've been tempted a couple times, but at the end of they day I've always trended towards standard rimmed tanks. Is this an AIO, or just a cube?

PAcanis

How do you like the Waterbox tanks? I've been tempted a couple times, but at the end of they day I've always trended towards standard rimmed tanks. Is this an AIO, or just a cube?

AIO? Starting at $928? Heck no, lol.
This is just a Cube 20. And I have a Cube 10, also. I like my 10 and have no complaints about this one, but I haven't filled it up and plugged it in either ;)

The 10 I have a sponge over the inlet and outlet to slow the flow. This one came with an adjustable pump. I should know more in a week or so.

ChrissFishes01

AIO? Starting at $928? Heck no, lol.
This is just a Cube 20. And I have a Cube 10, also. I like my 10 and have no complaints about this one, but I haven't filled it up and plugged it in either ;)

The 10 I have a sponge over the inlet and outlet to slow the flow. This one came with an adjustable pump. I should know more in a week or so.
Ah, but it does include a pump and a back chamber? I'd always considered those AIO's! That's the term in the saltwater world, at least!

PAcanis

True that. It includes everything.
I'm not sure why Waterbox calls their AIO line after an acronym.

I've been looking at another "AIO" rimless tank. Much more affordable than a larger WB and has a sump area and pump and outlet. No media though. But it's half the price of WB's AIO line and a 38g.

But that's a tank for another build :)

PAcanis

I finally got my plants today. And surprisingly I planted them all.
Then watched them wash away... :(
Not all, but it was a huge teaching lesson and one that won't be forgotten.

In spite of me using washed sand, which was still damp when I laid the substrate down, it all settled once the water was added. I expected a little, but not like I had.
I had some rocks shift and had more than a few hairgrass clumps floating. Then some of the pearl weed came unstuck from the substrate and then some of the reddish stuff... what a fiasco. And I found out that pool filter sand is more like micro gravel. It's very hard to plant in when underwater and doesn't clump like real aquarium sand.
Praying for quick rooting plants... :(

Anyway, here it is before I added the water. And it doesn't look like that now, lol. I see I have some hairgrass moving around to do. I lost my open area in front.

Top view

IMG_6953.JPG

Front view

IMG_6955.JPG

I also added some java moss and glued it in some cases and wedged it in others.
I really wish I had a couple more staurogyne repens I could have planted, but it can always be tweaked if I order some. I might wait and see if anything dies off.

Right now I have the filter running. That will need slowed down.

If someone posts a comment and the tank clears I'll snap a pic and post it tonight. If no one posts a comment you can be sure I won't be awake four hours from now to make another post, lol.

ChrissFishes01

This 4 hour limit really bothers you, huh? :p

Your wish is my command.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
180 Gallon Tank River Flow Tank Ideas
Replies