Waterbox cube 10 help!

• Thread starter koikoibetta
  • Start date

koikoibetta

Hello all!
So I recently got a wb cube 10 for my study desk and well I guess this will be a bit of a frustrating review.
I'll start with the good which is that it looks nice and modern. The glass is high quality and the build is sturdy and that's pretty much it!
The most frustrating problem I have that makes me wish I bought a simple rimless cube for probably half the price and just stuck an HOB on it, is that all though it is sleek and inconspicuous (which is why I got it), the built in sump chambers are lacking, which I am not saying that its their fault. 1602445484284.png
Firstly I'll start with the first chamber, which really isn't my main issue, but was something displeasing none the less. This is where the filter sock goes and while practical, the slots that drain into it are quite large and seeing that I was looking to keep neocaradinas in here they will defiantly fall through. This is probably a simple fix by putting some filter floss or cutting a sponge to fit it, however doing so makes this chamber pretty unnecessary as it defeats its original purpose, but like I said before just something to think about and not my main issue.

The second chamber is where the filter media goes in, which... well there's not much to complain about there!

The third and final chamber is where my anguish and frustration starts. This chamber is where the return pump sits in. When I first set up the cube I didn't really notice a noise, probably because of my excitement and joy of having it and setting it up, but a couple of days later I started to hear it.. the awful grinding noise of the pump. Thinking it was the pump, I contacted waterbox to see if I could get a replacement pump and they sent me another (good customer service no problem there!). This did not solve the problem as the grinding noise was still there. I tried almost everything from replacing the tube, to checking and cleaning it (which was brand new so like it was clean as it will ever be), to simply moving it around in the chamber, but still noisy as ever. My last resort was to buy another pump to see if that helps, but I noticed something... What if its not the pump?
I took both pumps and filled a bucket of water and... wow almost completely silent... My conclusion lead to that it must be the chamber itself.

Now this is where I ask you guys for any solutions! I was thinking maybe I could squeeze some sponges in-between and put some sort of cover on top to dampen the noise, or maybe I should make another expense and try a brand of pump to replace the stock pump.
What are your guys thoughts?
Hurry while I still have my sanity! 0_o lol

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
koikoibetta said:
Hello all!
So I recently got a wb cube 10 for my study desk and well I guess this will be a bit of a frustrating review.
I'll start with the good which is that it looks nice and modern. The glass is high quality and the build is sturdy and that's pretty much it!
The most frustrating problem I have that makes me wish I bought a simple rimless cube for probably half the price and just stuck an HOB on it, is that all though it is sleek and inconspicuous (which is why I got it), the built in sump chambers are lacking, which I am not saying that its their fault. 1602445484284.png
Firstly I'll start with the first chamber, which really isn't my main issue, but was something displeasing none the less. This is where the filter sock goes and while practical, the slots that drain into it are quite large and seeing that I was looking to keep neocaradinas in here they will defiantly fall through. This is probably a simple fix by putting some filter floss or cutting a sponge to fit it, however doing so makes this chamber pretty unnecessary as it defeats its original purpose, but like I said before just something to think about and not my main issue.

The second chamber is where the filter media goes in, which... well there's not much to complain about there!

The third and final chamber is where my anguish and frustration starts. This chamber is where the return pump sits in. When I first set up the cube I didn't really notice a noise, probably because of my excitement and joy of having it and setting it up, but a couple of days later I started to hear it.. the awful grinding noise of the pump. Thinking it was the pump, I contacted waterbox to see if I could get a replacement pump and they sent me another (good customer service no problem there!). This did not solve the problem as the grinding noise was still there. I tried almost everything from replacing the tube, to checking and cleaning it (which was brand new so like it was clean as it will ever be), to simply moving it around in the chamber, but still noisy as ever. My last resort was to buy another pump to see if that helps, but I noticed something... What if its not the pump?
I took both pumps and filled a bucket of water and... wow almost completely silent... My conclusion lead to that it must be the chamber itself.

Now this is where I ask you guys for any solutions! I was thinking maybe I could squeeze some sponges in-between and put some sort of cover on top to dampen the noise, or maybe I should make another expense and try a brand of pump to replace the stock pump.
What are your guys thoughts?
Hurry while I still have my sanity! 0_o lol
Yeah I would shove some sponges down there.

Top Bottom