Water Wisteria Tips Turning Brown

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi all, quick question.
I have water wisteria for about 8 months in my substrate that for the last 2 days I have noticed the tips are turning brown ( appears like its dyeing ) I do not use co2 but I use Excel every morning before the lights come on I do have the 24/7 Fluval Plant Spectrum LED. It has grown a lot since I had it. Any advise on what to do? This is suppose to be a very easy plant to care for

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Excel is a CO2 additive and not a fertilizer. Even if you add plenty of light and CO2 the plants won’t grow properly if they can’t get the right nutrients.

Do you dose any ferts? Sounds like the plant is missing something. Wisteria is more of a water column feeder than a root feeder so adding some liquid ferts should do them good.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, I will pick it up tomorrow. How often do you use this? everyday? once a week?

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Think of your lights as the gas pedal in your car and fertilizers are the gasoline. You can have all the light you want, with no gas (ferts) not much is going to happen.
I would look into an all in one fert to start off. Myself and many others use NilocG Thrive since it has every nutrient your plants need and is very easy to dose.
Nothing against Seachem Flourish or Leaf Zone, they contain some of the nutrients plants need but not all of them.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 5 LFS around me and no one carries Thrive.

they all carry seachem

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I ordered thrive on amazon. Your plants need Micro and Macro nutrients. Flourish only has Micro nutrients, even then it contains pretty minute amounts compared to Thrive. Which has more than twice the amount of Micro nutrients as Flourish and it contains all the Macro nutrients you'll ever need.

If you were to purchase all the Seachem Nutrients you need individually you'll easily spend 5 times the amount of one bottle of Thrive. Which also has a new fertilizer that also contains a liquid source of Carbon. So in theory one bottle of ThriveC contains every fert you need PLUS it can replace Seachem Excel since it has liquid carbon added. NilocG claims their new source of liquid Carbon is more effective than other popular Carbon sources, namely Excel. It's a new product however so it's not verify-able yet.

I probably sound like a Thrive fanboy by now but for people just getting into the fertilizer game it doesn't get any easier and is worth ordering online and waiting a couple days for. Once you're comfortable with liquid ferts you can move on to dry ferts which are exponentially cheaper.

Last edited:

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That sounds great, I appreciate the tip. How often do you need to use Thrive? everyday? I have around 19-23 plants in a 55 gallon. Ordering this today on Amazon, thanks again for your help.

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have well over 100 individual plans in my 55 and it does a good job.(pictured below so you can see these ferts work) You might want to consider root tabs as well. You just shove them into the substrate around your plants and they last 2-3 months so your roots have something to feed on. NilocG also makes root tabs, 15 dollars for a bottle of tabs that last my 55 a year

Thrive liquid fertilizer for the leaves to soak up, and root tabs for the roots to feed on. Some plants feed more heavily through their roots than they do leaves and whatnot.

If you bought regular Thrive I believe it's 1 pump of the bottle per 10 gallons twice a week,
If you bought ThriveC which is the newer line that also has a liquid carbon source in it it's 1 pump per 5 gallons twice a week. Pretty easy. One bottle lasts me 3-4 months.

I'm about to switch to the dry fertilizers the NilocG offers on their websites. Much cheaper and should last a year or so. With dry ferts you have to measure and mix individual nutrients yourself so it's very slightly more complicated but way bigger bang for your buck.
If I were you I'd start with liquid Thrive for awhile then go from there.

DSC_2159.jpg

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have well over 100 individual plans in my 55 and it does a good job.(pictured below so you can see these ferts work) You might want to consider root tabs as well. You just shove them into the substrate around your plants and they last 2-3 months so your roots have something to feed on. NilocG also makes root tabs, 15 dollars for a bottle of tabs that last my 55 a year

Thrive liquid fertilizer for the leaves to soak up, and root tabs for the roots to feed on. Some plants feed more heavily through their roots than they do leaves and whatnot.

If you bought regular Thrive I believe it's 1 pump of the bottle per 10 gallons twice a week,
If you bought ThriveC which is the newer line that also has a liquid carbon source in it it's 1 pump per 5 gallons twice a week. Pretty easy. One bottle lasts me 3-4 months.

I'm about to switch to the dry fertilizers the NilocG offers on their websites. Much cheaper and should last a year or so. With dry ferts you have to measure and mix individual nutrients yourself so it's very slightly more complicated but way bigger bang for your buck.
If I were you I'd start with liquid Thrive for awhile then go from there.

View attachment 559741
Thanks so much for the info. Your Tank is really nice

Top Bottom