Water Wisteria edges of the leaves have been turning brown and curling

strobukm

I have had water wisteria in my tank for about 4 months. Since I added it, it has grown from about 4" to about 18" in height. Just recently (within the last week or two) the edges of the leaves have been turning brown and curling. I tried rubbing the dark spots off, and it seems like some of it does come off, so it may be algae, but I'm not 100% sure. None of the other plants in the tank have major algae issues. The new growth is bright green and healthy, so not all of the plant is affected. Could this be due to a nutrient imbalance, improper lighting. It's a 72 gallon tank and I have the 42 watt light. I also use the 24/7 lighting mode where it starts off in the morning with an orange sunrise that converts to a white daylight, and then fades to a blue sunset. I use root tabs for my swords and the NilocG PPS Pro system for dosing micro and macro nutrients. Any ideas on cause, and how I should fix it? Should I cut off all affected leaves?

1632239038300.png
1632239311832.png

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_153144500.jpg
    PXL_20210921_153144500.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20210921_144211094.jpg
    PXL_20210921_144211094.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20210921_153122392.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210921_153122392.MP.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 21

nanoist

I am gonna post here to see what answers you get as I have a similar thing going on with water sprite in my nano tank. Some Brownish leaves and bright green new growth. I assume it’s diatoms but not sure

mattgirl

Beautiful wisteria plant. Pull one of the leaves off. Once out of the water spray it with or dip it in hydrogen peroxide. Leave it on it for about 10 minutes and then drop the leaf in a small amount of tank water. It the black turns red I suspect you have some black beard algae taking a foot hold in your tank. The black on the edges of some of the leaves leads me to think this may be the case.

Edited to add. It isn't going to immediately turn red. The HP is going to kill it. Once dead it will turn red. If it isn't red by the next day it may not be BBA.

Bwood22

Beautiful wisteria plant. Pull one of the leaves off. Once out of the water spray it with or dip it in hydrogen peroxide. Leave it on it for about 10 minutes and then drop the leaf in a small amount of tank water. It the black turns red I suspect you have some black beard algae taking a foot hold in your tank. The black on the edges of some of the leaves leads me to think this may be the case.
That is amazing. I'm totally not a plant person.
But that's really cool.

AlyeskaGirl

I agree that it may be the beginning of bba. The lower leaves appear to be struggling and curling leaf tips. I personally would increase potassium. Hygrophlia species are potassium hogs.

I would remove the infected leaves as they wont recover.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ksway
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
SotaAquatics
Replies