Water Wisteria Dying

K0olmini

Reaction score
I recently put about four stems of water wisteria in my tank. In the beginning it was losing leaves, I assumed that was normal because of new water conditions. I initially planted some in the substrate and they continued to lose leaves so I removed them and just floated all of them. Even though they are floating they are still losing leaves. I'm not sure what is causing this. I heard they were really hardy and absorbed nitrate fairly quickly.

Information about my tank:
29 gallon
77-81 F
Sand
T5 lighting
Nitrates 0.40-0.60 ppm

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
K0olmini said:
I recently put about four stems of water wisteria in my tank. In the beginning it was losing leaves, I assumed that was normal because of new water conditions. I initially planted some in the substrate and they continued to lose leaves so I removed them and just floated all of them. Even though they are floating they are still losing leaves. I'm not sure what is causing this. I heard they were really hardy and absorbed nitrate fairly quickly.

Information about my tank:
29 gallon
77-81 F
Sand
T5 lighting
Nitrates 0.40-0.60 ppm
I'm not sure, a picture would help tho.

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If your water wisteria has big rounded leaves that means it was grown out of the water and melt back is normal.

OP
K

K0olmini

Reaction score
Shoot. I’ll post some pictures soon. It did have two different kinds of leaves so that makes sense. I currently do not dose with any fertilizers.

OP
K

K0olmini

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s a water column feeder or root feeder??

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
Wisteria is a water column feeder.
Sometimes a plant just doesn't like your water. All my other plants do well in my tanks but wisteria, "the easiest, hardiest plant ever" turns into gray mush and falls apart within a week...

OP
K

K0olmini

Reaction score
wishuponafish said:
Wisteria is a water column feeder.
Sometimes a plant just doesn't like your water. All my other plants do well in my tanks but wisteria, "the easiest, hardiest plant ever" turns into gray mush and falls apart within a week...
Thanks man. I’m not sure if it’s also losing leaves because of a lack of nutrients. I have two pothos, an anacharis, java fern, and anubius in the tank as well. I’ve also heard dont bunch them up. Is that true?

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
K0olmini said:
Thanks man. I’m not sure if it’s also losing leaves because of a lack of nutrients. I have two pothos, an anacharis, java fern, and anubius in the tank as well. I’ve also heard dont bunch them up. Is that true?
The pothos and anacharis are hungry plants and they might be using up all of the nutrients in the water. I recommend you start using fertilizer.

It doesn't really matter if you bunch them up, as long as they can each get some light. I wouldn't worry as long as the stems stay alive and you're seeing some new growth at the tips.

OP
K

K0olmini

Reaction score
Alright. I’ll look into a fertilizer. My friend was saying I should change my lighting too.

it’s just strange. They have some nice long root structures but they lost most of the leaves on the bottom part of the stem.

OP
K

K0olmini

Reaction score
wishuponafish said:
One of them seems to be melting from the bottom up, like mine did. Do you happen to have hard water?
I do have pretty hard water. I live in Los Angeles

New Threads