Water Wisteria Advice

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What do I need to not kill it? I purchased some new ones, and haven't tried since my last experience with it a few years ago. Would like to hopefully have them not all die on me this time. Last time, the planted area rotted completely.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would float them at the surface. Having suffient lighting would increase your chances, as well as having nutrients and CO2 - both aren't required, but can help!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Chances are you've purchased it in it's emersed form (ovate, serrated leaves). It is common practice for aquatic nurseries to grow their plants in emersed form, as they grow faster this way. When introduced to submersed life, the plants will die back. The old, emersed leaves will melt away, leaving ugly naked stems for a while. However, the plant will slowly put out new leaves that have adapted to submersed life. These leaves are shaped quite differently, having longer, deeply-lobed leaves without serrated edges.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with @Fahn

Most aquatic nurseries commonly grow water wisteria out of the water, so it takes a while for the plant to transition to survive completely under the water. The plant usually will die off completely, but will slowly come back. Just keep it in your tank and see if it grows back even after weeks of dying off.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Definitely purchased in its emersed form, both this time and last time. Any way to tell if it's in the process of coming back or needs to be removed? Also, how long does that typically take?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Bithimala said:
Definitely purchased in its emersed form, both this time and last time. Any way to tell if it's in the process of coming back or needs to be removed? Also, how long does that typically take?
You'll see the new leaves transition into bright green lobed leaves, generally takes a couple weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom