Water Water Everywhere!!!

River Gray

So I’m a total noob on salt water and sumps etc. but am sitting my nieces and nephews who have a saltwater tank and it’s been having leaking issues which the cause of is a complete mystery. The tank hasn’t had as much upkeep as it probably should but I just need a crash course on protein skimmers and sumps and anything else that can make a sump or tank overflow.......?!?

stella1979

So, just to be clear, it's only leaking from the top of the tank because it's overflowing, yes? It sounds like there's a blockage somewhere. Can you tell if the sump's low on water? I'm thinking this blockage is somewhere between the overflow, (where tank water escapes to the sump), and the sump itself. I am also not experienced with sumps, but it just makes sense that if the issue were somewhere in the return, (where water is returned from filtration to the tank), that it would be the sump that's overflowing.

Since you say the upkeep hasn't been good, it could very well be that mechanical filtration, (floss, sponges, filter socks), is clogged, making it so flow from the tank to filtration is slower than it should be. Have a look at anything mechanical, and if you can, replace it with fresh stuff or give it a very good rinse in tank water. If you must use running water to clean mechanical filtration, it's important that it's rinsed in a bit of tank water before being placed back in the system, or you risk getting anything dangerous from the tap, (think chlorine, though if there are corals or sensitive inverts in the tank, you'll have to worry about more than chlorine, as tap water can contain other dangers to these types of creatures.)

I'll be on and off of here over the next several hours, so if you continue to need help, please just ask and I'll do what I can. Good luck!

stella1979

Any luck with the leak?

Jesterrace

So I’m a total noob on salt water and sumps etc. but am sitting my nieces and nephews who have a saltwater tank and it’s been having leaking issues which the cause of is a complete mystery. The tank hasn’t had as much upkeep as it probably should but I just need a crash course on protein skimmers and sumps and anything else that can make a sump or tank overflow.......?!?

Is it an overflow box with a siphon or a pre-drilled tank?

doubleohwhatever

I'm confused. Do you know where the leak/overflow is and you're asking what could be causing it or is there water on the floor and you don't where it's coming from? If the tank is leaking, there should be salt buildup at the site of the leak. If you think a photo would help then definitely post one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rugerjr
Replies
Views
Stang Man
Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views