Water Under Tank Stand..

1. BlueRaccoon Member Member

I have a 150 gallon. It is sitting on wood floors. We dumped some water in front of it. I can't just easily move it and clean it up. Any suggestions? I know there is no real answer to this. I have a fan running. My husband is thinking about cutting the bottom out, however that won't help if there is water under the frame. Anyone had this happen? What was the outcome? I'm assuming the worse that happens is the wood is stained?

2. ChiefBrody Member Member

Discoloration and warping. What kind of floor do you have?

3. LA58 Member Member

The fan is your only option. Depending on the wood, it's finish and the actual amount of water on the floor, you may end up staining the floor. Hopefully this happened in a home you own. If the wood floor is old enough to have small gaps between the boards, the water may simply go down the cracks into the wood subflooring. Water spills happen. It won't be the last time.

4. BlueRaccoon Member Member

I don't know what type. I just know they are old hard wood floors.

5. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If water found a way under it, given time it will find a way to evaporate out, especially if the house is older since wood would dry and pull apart, leaving spaces where the water can evaporate out. One time isn't going to destroy the flooring unless it's somehow an unsealed, untreated flooring.

If there's a basement where you can get under the tank I'd simply check to see if there's signs of water beneath it, and set up a fan if there is. Or set up a fan blowing towards the tank stand. I would not cut the bottom of a tank stand for 150G if I understood that correctly - especially if its made of particle board. You do that and you compromise the structural integrity, which could cause the tank stand to collapse like two dominos in a vertical position with one on top horizontal, and then if you gave it a nudge in either the left or right direction. option b.) drain 150G of water, move it, ease your mind - and then place a rubberized mat beneath the stand and use water-cutoff mastic tape around the edges to prevent this from happening again, then hope you don't decide to move the tank for a long time.

In my opinion it's more an issue if you spilled water around a tank stand that sat on carpet vs hardwood flooring, since the carpet would absorb more water and trap it there for longer periods of time.

6. BlueRaccoon Member Member

I really appreciate all the advice guys! Thank you!