Water Turns Green Really Quickly Help

1. RumbleBee Initiate Member

5 Gallon Tank. One Betta, one little frog, one snail, one tiny shrimp.

I'm finding my water gets cloudy and green very quickly. I've done 50-75% water changes twice a week to try and catch up, and a couple full water changes, and after about 3 days, the water is green and the plants are slimy. The only time the tank has nice clear water, and I can see everything in the tank, is when I do a full water change, and 3-4 days afterwards.

-Recently got a baster to take out un-eaten food everyday; hasn't helped much.
    -Recently lost one of our snails, and he was sick for a while (his shell somehow got broken) he's not in the tank anymore as of yesterday. Got a small snail in there still.
    -Shrimp has just been added about a week ago (Hoped he would eat some of the algae)
    -Live plant was added about a week ago as well, read that it might help keep the water clear, but now it's slimy already.
    -The tank has a blue LED light that's on for long periods (My son uses it as a night light) Could this be causing the rapid algae growth?
    -Our Betta (Mr.Fishy) has a strange black growth on his side below his dorsal, but not on any fins. (I'll be posting about that on another thread, as it's getting bigger)

Thanks in advance!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How much and what are you feeding? That's undoubtedly contributing to the excess nutrients and feeding the algae. Is the tank anywhere near a window? What kind of filter do you have on it?

Welcome to the forum!

3. RumbleBee Initiate Member

@Aquaphobia I'm feeding frozen (thawed) bloodworms in the morning, about 6-8 total (for fish & frog) and about 10 betta pellets and 5 frog pellets at night. The tank is across the room from the window, about 12 feet away, no direct sunlight comes in that window. The filter is the one that came attached to the tank. I've been changing the cartridge every couple weeks, and it's always pretty dirty.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think the main problem is that you're feeding too much. Since you're already giving bloodworms, which are quite rich and I would only give them as a treat, cut back on the betta pellets. Maybe 2 a day if any.

I would also stop changing the filter cartridges. Swish them in old tank water in a bucket to clean the gunk off them but changing them is only throwing out your cycle. If you have to change the cartridge because it's just too clogged to clean then cut the floss off it and stick it in with the new cartridge to seed it with bacteria. Cutting back on the feeding should help as well.

5. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

In addition to overfeeding like the others mentioned, excessive light can also contribute to algae. I had been doing the exact same thing in my daughter's tank as you're doing - leaving the light on full strength all day and then switching it to just the blue light at night. Someone on this forum recommended turning the light off altogether at night and limiting how long it's on during the day to 8 or 9 hours. I started doing that (and got a separate night light for the room) and saw a really fast reduction in the amount of algae in the tank.

Edited to add: I plan on getting a timer for the light in my new tank. That way I can just schedule it to turn on and off automatically and I don't have to worry about too much or too little light!

Another thing that helped my tank was adding more live plants. The more plants you have, the more competition the algae with have for nutrients. The plants will take more nutrients from the water which will leave less for the algae to thrive on.

6. KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Sounds like an ammonia issue. Is your tank cycled?