Water Turnover

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've read where you're supposed to look for 8-12 times volume water turnover per hour in a tank. I have about 9x right now. Is this a hard and fast rule? I heard where one guy has a fantastic tank and runs about 20x turnover.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I read 10x a hour for a hob filter, and 6 or 7 times for a cannister filter, let me see If I can find that link.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
this is credited to aquarium guys

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My filter is only 5x turnover rate(maybe a bit more),Aqueon Power 30 in a 38g tank, and I am a bit overstocked but with two 30% changes per week my water stays crystal clear and nitrates stay under 20-40(40 if I only change once a week).

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So it is saying up to 20x for a reef tank. That's interesting. I've been thinking of getting a new pump to increase my flow.

Now I'm wondering - I have two jets at the top for the return. If I jump to 20X I may need to get a 4-jet return so that the water pressure isn't as great.

Sound good or am I over thinking it?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

Zeeter, if you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it would be a great help. You can access the profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Ken

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh my tank is freshwater, didn't notice this was for a saltwater setup. You may need more turnover for that. I don't keep any saltwater myself, sorry.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i keep a turnover of 12.6 on my 75 gallon freshwater ( 2 hang on back and 1 canister) and 17 on my 46 gallon bowfront ( 2 hang on back, 1 canister and a protein skimmer) the more tank turnover, the less problems i have had with fish disease and water quality issues...thats not counting powerheads, oh course these dont excuse for water changes every 7 to 10 days

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zeeter for salt it's 20 times over with sump on power heads its 18-23 times more flow is better than slow flow for reefs if you want seahorse's then all you need is 3-5 times it really depends on what you are doing and where you want to go!!!!Does this answer your question ?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When we talk about water turnover are we talking just the return from the sump? I return 950 (minus around 2.5 feet of up-push) plus I have 750gph and 1050 gph powerheads. Does this count towards the water turnover?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm talking about sump return. 950 is a bit low on sump. Tell me more on your sump and what do you have in it any bubble traps? what about skimmer and what type? The power heads depend on if sand is being blown around. With two of them you should be fine. The 2.5 feet of return is not a long feed back so I would knock off about 7 % of return for that so that brings you to about a little under 12 times fold.I would bump it up to about 16 - 20 times fold.

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some people go up to 48x is not bad. remember though you want fish to swim no to fight current. In a reef tank you want corals to flow smoothly and not move violently this can cause serious damage specially seen on LPS. Try not to direct your power heads into any corals or fish hangout. I put my powerheads facing up making more oxygen circulate into the aquarium.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My sump is a 25 gallon rubbermaid. I use three collection canisters of shoe-box sized containers filling into a two gallon kitty litter container (not a litter box but the plastic box the new litter comes in). 1st container has filter-fiber, second runs activated charcoal, this flows down into the bottom container that has holes drilled in toward the bottom to output into the main sump area. In there also is my protein skimmer and pump back up to the top.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
My sump is a 25 gallon rubbermaid. I use three collection canisters of shoe-box sized containers filling into a two gallon kitty litter container (not a litter box but the plastic box the new litter comes in). 1st container has filter-fiber, second runs activated charcoal, this flows down into the bottom container that has holes drilled in toward the bottom to output into the main sump area. In there also is my protein skimmer and pump back up to the top.
Like I said it would be better to get a bigger pump for the sump return the power heads are fine just need a little more flow for skimmer in sump area to get an even balance!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just to be clear, you're saying a better return pump will increase the performance of my skimmer? Hate to be dense, but I've spent a lot of money on **** that I don't need and just want to be sure.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the more flow thru the sump will have better reflect on skimmer performance. Are you using a submersible pump or external pump and which brand? And what stuff did you buy that you don't need?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Submersible. Can't remember the brand offhand, but it's a pretty good one, based on the price.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
Submersible. Can't remember the brand offhand, but it's a pretty good one, based on the price.
Let me know when you have a chance?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads