Water turned green, After using Pressurized Co2 System.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Hussain, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hussain

Hussain Valued Member Member

Hello Everyone,

I've got a problem with my new 128 gallon tank, The tank is running for 1 month now.

Before 3 days i bought full Pressurized Co2 System from Tunze With Ph/Co2 Controller. And i Added a normal Dose of Seachem Flourish. After the dose one day the water turned white cloudy and today its going to red.

I Have lighting fixture with 2x 39Watt T5 (14000K) Running 12 hours a day, and 2x 250Watt HQI (5100K) Running 10 Hours a day.

Should i shutoff the lights for 1 week? or do water change? I'm little confused.

*NOTE* Ammonia - 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 5~10, Phosphate is less than 0.25.

Tank Information is on left (Tank Info).

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

looks like a algae bloom to me, and your running you lights too much....

3. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    Hussain

The lights was on that setting for a month, there was no problem, once i added the Pressurized Co2 system and Seachem flourish fertilizer, 2 days after that, it went green, should i cut the HQI time 2 hours to be 8 hours on? or do some water change and look if it makes difference?

Thanks.

5. OP
    OP
    Hussain

I've heard that the UV Sterilizer will kill the beneficial bacteria, I'm bit scared to go that way, and its better to look where the problem is (what caused that algae, the tank was running for a month without problem, once i added the Co2 system it went like that :S

Thanks,.

6. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

algae bloom takes a while and the CO2 is feeding the algae because that is what plant life feeds off of, there is no easy way to rid a algae bloob but I'd cut my light back to 6hrs a day... I had a bloom in my SW tank and I cut back the light and ran a fine filter pad in my fluval fx5 and bit filtered most of the algae out. I could wring it out from the filter and had to clean it every day for a week.

7. Cichlidude

Think you heard wrong. Since BB is not really in the water, it will not hurt the BB, unless you are trying to cycle the tank. Then you should not run it until done.

8. OP
    OP
    Hussain

I will Lower the HQI time to 6 hours, and my friend got a spare UV Sterilizer i will take it from him, And try for a week, with some water changes..

Thanks everyone.

9. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Well, the problem is back again :;fru

The UV Sterilizer took about 5 days to clean the water and one week to be very clean. then I've remove it.

And i reduced my lights to (HQI 2x 250 to 5 hours) and (T5 to 10 Hours). Then after one week of clean water, the problem came up again..

My Water started turning green again. This time i added little dose of Seachem Flourish, on the instructions its written 5ml for 250 liter per week, my tank is 480liter (128gal) i added 5ml.. (half dose).

I'm really confused, my plants and pearling so hard, and my tap water is 8.0ph, with the Pressurized co2 system + co2/pH controller i lowered it to 7.00ph

Thanks.

10. Cichlidude

Put the UV Sterilizer back in and leave it on all the time.

11. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Algae is normally the result of nutritient levels, whereby there is an abundance of one nutrient (could be light) and a deficiency in another (e.g. nitrate)

And depending on what type of algae it is, will help determine the cause of the outbreak.

But things that can have an impact and help algae to grow: (either too much or too little)

- Light (and the type of light) hours
    - CO2
    - Nitrate (although plants prefer ammonium :) )
    - Phosphate
    - pH
    - Temperature
    - Potassium
    - Iron

There are numerous topics/pages on the net on how to deal with algae, and what causes each to grow. Understanding the CO2/Light/Nutrient balance is important, and another concept known as NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potassium)

here's one that I have referred to:  

12. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I recently purchased a T5 lighting system, and ended up with an algae bloom just like you did. It has been a learning experience for me trying to understand that balance between lighting, CO2 and nutrients. One thing to keep in mind....algae is a type of plant organism, therefore, it will grow under the same parameters as your plants will. Further, it will thrive when the lighting, CO2, nutrient balance is no longer in balance. Even without adding CO2, I believe your tank would have ended up with an algae bloom.

Those lights are putting out a very large amount. While everything equalizes in your tank, I'd suggest you cut your total lighting down to 6 yours daily. Then, once the algae is gone, gradually increase the lighting.

How much CO2 are you injecting? With increased lighting and increased CO2, you also need to raise the nutrient levels in order to maintain the critical balance.

Why half the dose when you are hitting your tank with so much lighting? I'm going to say it again.....you need to balance lighting, CO2 and nutrients. I would give the full dose 2x a week.

I also ended up getting a UV Sterilizer. I've had mine running day and night. If I were you, I'd keep it running constantly. I do not believe it harms the bacteria. My tank has not shown any signs of this.

Before UV Sterilizer, CO2, Nutrients
    [​IMG]

After.....
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to the thread I started with my algae problem. Although I have an issue with too much phosphate, I believe the suggestions could also help you out.

Good luck!

Dena

13. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I got intrigued, and have been doing some research on this topic.

Can I ask why you're using HQI lighting on a freshwater setup?
    Everything I've read so far suggests they are meant for Saltwater setups with corals.

My opinion is that you are providing way too much light for a freshwater setup, and more specifically, the spectrums you are providing are too much. Unless the tank is inhabited by high light plants, you're providing a lot of light (over 4 watts per gallon) and CO2 for algae to feed off (photosynthesis), and if other nutrient levels are out of whack (i.e. phosphate, nitrate, iron) then algae will definitely thrive.

I would also consider changing your T5's (I assume they're HO) to 18000K, and your HQI to 6700K bulbs.

And then I'd look at nutrient and CO2 levels.

I firmly believe (and it's just my belief) that algae is controlled in nature and shouldn't require artificial intervention (such as UV sterilisation) to control.

14. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Think of all that UV light being produced by the sun's rays. There is more going on in nature than we realize.

15. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Thanks everyone for the posts,

I turned the UV on to clean the water, added another dose of seachem flourish, (no NPK yet) turned off the T5 (until i get 10K lights) HQI is running only 5 hours.

About the Co2 I'm dosing 2 bubbles per second and the pH/co2 controller is shutting the co2 off once it comes to 7.00pH.

I will wait to the UV to clean the water and then try to control my fertilizer doses to meet the co2/light and see how its going to work..

You fail to learn. :;thx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice