water truns green

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by batattack, Apr 22, 2006.

1. batattack

batattackNew MemberMember

Yo som times my water trunes greenish is that becaues it is inthe sun alot?

2. newbie101

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

If it is in direct sunlight, yes. It would be algae.

3. OP
    OP
    batattack

Should I put it in the darkest room

4. newbie101

No, you don't have to, just as long as it's not in direct sunlight. This will get you huge algae blooms, and possibly an overheated tank.

5. OP
    OP
    batattack

Yea sometimes my tank feels hotter than 75 degrees

6. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

Hotter than 75 is fine for most fish, but going into the high 80's and 90's isn't good for some.

7. OP
    OP
    batattack

o the guy at th fish store said fish might die if hthe temp goes higher htan 75

8. Marc

What kinds of fish are they?

9. OP
    OP
    batattack

angels,Cory danios, cherrybarb, phantom tetras

10. Marc

Those fish are all fine in 75+. As long as it doesn't get much over 85 or change too much it'll be fine.

11. OP
    OP
    batattack

OK thanks alot. I guss sales people don't no much. 8)

12. newbie101

yeah, never trust pet store ppl...they have told me, and I have seen them tell countless other poor newbies, all this total junk!

13. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Me too, I once heard the guy at my lfs telling this woman she would only need to do a water change every 2 months and it was quite a small tank about 2.5g, and I don't think she knew about cycling the tank either because she went and bought the tank and a few fish on the same day. :eek: I don't know what the man was tlking about. I never take the advise from the people at the fish stores. They don't know much about fish if you ask me!! It's all a load of rubbish! :mad:

NEVER TRUST PEOPLE FROM THE FISH STORES!!!! ;)

Gwenz :)

14. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Betattack, I have learned long ago not to trust fish store people - most of the time and most of them know NOTHING, though they pretend to know "everything" about fish-keeping. I have still much to learn but thanks to this website and aquarium books as well as the Internet I now know much more than I knew before. So now no fish store seller will ever again lie to me, or talk me into buying something I don't even need. And now I use my knowledge to actually test fish store sellers - it's sometimes disturbing to hear the kinds of advice they give because I am able to distinguish good from bad advice.

15. Marc

Heh, they don't always know what they're doing. I have several stories I could give on that... most recently... the bulb in my 33gal has been flickering. So we went to get a new bulb... the person behind the counter thought we needed a new starter - she knew the exact hood we had, and the bulb. Both were directly behind her and I pointed them out. Lo and behold, not a single starter on the whole thing - the bulb it comes with has it's own starters as a part of it. Not only that, but the starter she sold us didn't even fit where it was supposed to.

16. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

17. OP
    OP
    batattack

Well I will never belive anther sales person

18. Marc

Don't worry about that! Some people really know what they're doing. There are three petstores near me (out of about 14) that know what they're doing. Almost the entire staff knows at least enough to tell you whether or not you're doing something wrong. Heck, I know of at least one person in each of those stores who knows more about fish than most of us here. There ARE some good people working at pet shops :)

19. OP
    OP
    batattack

I guss but some just try to sell you stuff

20. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

you're not kidding...
    although Marc is right, my lfs is pretty good as far as knowledge.