Water treatment to get rid of brown algae?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by kidster9700, Jul 26, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I think I've heard of something that removes brown algae from the water. It's pretty bad on the plants in my betta tank, and I don't really know what to do for it. I can put my random oto in there I guess because he's solo anyways, but I would rather buy something to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I use Seachem Phosguard and I no longer have ANY brown algae. Depending on how high your phosphates and silicates are will determine how often it has to be replaced in your filter. You will want to get a phosphate test.

Is it a new tank? If its not in your water supply then it usually goes away on its own after awhile.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

It's a new tank, but the plants it's on is from a different tank.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hey I'm going through a similar nuisance too as Cindi will tell you. I put PhosGuard 250mL in my filter with two mesh bags. Will let you know how it goes.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well it has a sponge filter kind of. It has a little cartridge but also uses an air pump. It's a tetra cube 3g

6. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I just ordered some phosguard and a phosphate test to help (hopefully) with brown algae. No idea how one would use it with a sponge filter though :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice