Water Treated With Ammonia? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Austyn Lane, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Austyn Lane

Austyn Lane New Member Member

Hello, my name is Austyn and I'm relatively new to the fish keeping community. I have two 20 gallon tanks mostly stocked with Guppies and a few platys. I want to put them outside in a small pond. However my water is pretreated with ammonia, I have been buying jugs of purified drinking water and distilled water for about 2 years now. Buying so much water (especially for pond) would be relatively expensive, so I'm hoping that I can use the hose water treated with some sort of Water Conditioner of course. I was just curious if there was any difference between the ammonia that fish produce and the ammonia that is put into drinking water, and if I can use this for my fish.

2. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Hi and welcome!

So it's treated with ammonia? not chlorine?
    I suggest using Seachem Prime and Double dose if neccesary. Also Suggest buying API master Test kit and testing the water so we know what level of ammonia we are dealing with. Good Luck!

3. I

ILLBETHEJUDGE Valued Member Member

or buy the most concentrated version of prime which is called safe

4. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Yes! Sorry forgot about same, It's not more concentrated pretty much the same but powder version of prime and will give you more volume for per gallon for your money.

5. I

ILLBETHEJUDGE Valued Member Member

totally right.

6. OP
    OP
    Austyn Lane

Austyn Lane New Member Member

Thank you for replying, I will check that out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice