Help Water Tests for Discus

MasterP0

Reaction score
I'm about 6 weeks in my water cycle for my 175 gallon tank for Discus.

Ph-7.2
Ammonia-2.0ppm
Nitrite-0.00ppm
Nitrate-5.0ppm

Is my tank already cycled or do I keep it up?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello, cycled= 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates.
What are you using for the ammonia source? It’s recommended to see if the tank can process 2.0 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours once the ammonia is finally down to 0.

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
I've been doing the fish flakes, it has been about two weeks.

also thank you all for your help

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't think it should take more than another week or two now that the ammonia is gone

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Before you add the fish add ammonia and let it disappear one more time. Discus are heavy waste producers and it’s better safe than sorry.

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
H Farnsworth said:
Before you add the fish add ammonia and let it disappear one more time. Discus are heavy waste producers and it’s better safe than sorry.
okay will do. cant buy any fish rn because of the virus. My local fish store has run out of stock.

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Order from discus madness you can get a good deal on discus. I bought 5 for $125. They still kicking and loving life.

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
H Farnsworth said:
Order from discus madness you can get a good deal on discus. I bought 5 for $125. They still kicking and loving life.
Fosho, I will think about it because its $100 for shipping for me and I was thinking of waiting but idk yet? any other places you recommend?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where are you from? There are many breeders. Is your tank a bare bottom tank? Are you getting juvenile fish or adults? Have you kept discus before? Do you have other fish now?

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Where are you from? There are many breeders. Is your tank a bare bottom tank? Are you getting juvenile fish or adults? Have you kept discus before? Do you have other fish now?
I am from Vegas, yes it bare bottom. I was thinking of getting juvenile ones. I have not kept discus before. Yes I have other fish now

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Being on the west coast check out uncle sams discus. He’s a seller not a breeder. But I bought 2 5.5” discus from him in oct. they are both fine and healthy. They were also introduced into a existing group of discus with no problems. Go to there site and put yourself on there mailing list. They do 50% off sales monthly. Shippin* for me was reasonable and I’m on the east coast. Also they have a utube video. He’s a seller but he buys from top Asian breeders. Good luck! How your cycle going?

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
My cycle has been done for a week now, which is really good!!! and I will check them out for sure! Is it better to have adult discus or juveniles? I've done research on both but I want someone's opinion?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What type of tank are you doing? Just a bare bottom or are you adding gravel? What type of filtration. I say young fish. There cheaper and you get to grow them out. But you have to be willing to do it right. With a 175 your looking to move at least 50-75 g of water every other day. With adults you could do that twice a week. You could also get a 40g and grow your discus in that till there 4-5” than move them into the big tank. Smaller tank your not moving as much water but you still want to do 50% either daily or every other day. These fish need clean water. It’s a must.

OP
M

MasterP0

Reaction score
I am just doing bare bottom. I have a fx6 in my tank. Yeah I was willing to do changes every other day. I have a 75 gallon on the side just in case

New Threads