Water Testing Question

1. Lexar169 Member Member

Just had a quick question concerning ammonia levels when it comes to testing. Will tap water affect the results of ammonia levels on the ammonia test?
    I use API Freshwater Master Test Kit that I bought at Petco.
    It tests PH high and low range, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

I'm getting 8.0 or more of ammonia but my fish dont seem to be affected. Instead they are thriving more than they usually do.

Thanks for the help.

Nate:;hi2

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

IMO, it depends on how much ammonia there is in your tap water. So IMO, it'd be best to test for ammonia in your tap water before putting it in your tank when you do a water change.

Your fish might not get affected by high ammonia levels now, but later they'll show the results and it could be a disaster. IMO, a bottle of prime could do it to detox the ammonia. But continue to do your regular water changes. Wait for more input from other members. Good luck :;hf

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lexar/Nate :) If you have 8.0 reading for ammonia I highly recommend a 50% water change and add some Prime, Amquel + or chemical of your choice to detox the ammonia. Are you sure you're using the correct test? That is so high! Any amount of ammonia can be fatal to your fish.
    By adding tap water/via water change will help to reduce your ammonia levels. Add the Prime or Amquel +. I suggest daily water changes until it's down to 0.
    (note should you use Amquel + you may still get readings of ammonia during the 24 hour period but it won't be toxic for these 24 hours.)
    Best of luck
    Ken

4. Lexar169 Member Member

OK hang on..i didn't say the right thing...lol I meant if i clean the test tube w/ tap water can or will it affect my test?
    8.0 is a bit high. it looks closer to 7.0 - 7.5
    I'v also added chem to the tank and waited 24hrs+ and resault is the same. i keep thinking im doing something wring bc they look great. im using kordon AmQuel+ to removes Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorien & Choramines aswell as Kordon Fish Protecter.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no..just dont leave any residue in there...

you have an ammonia reading in your tank of 8?
    whats the lot number on your ammonia bottle?
    if you have that high of a reading, your fish would be dead....make sure you mixed 8 drops of bottle one and 8 of bottle number 2 shaking well in between ....

6. Lexar169 Member Member

i did

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what is the lot number on your ammonia testing bottles?

8. Lexar169 Member Member

Bottle 1 83b0709
    Bottle 2 84a0809

Im having a bad morning..i just broke one of my florescent bulbs...

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well if you ammonia is truely that high, you need to do a bunch of small water changes...cant believe they arent all dead....do a few 20%changes with a few hours in between each..that is totally a lethal amount and changing too much out, could shock them as well....sorry about your bulb

10. Lexar169 Member Member

please tell me the powder wont hurt them....its 6 am

So there's no way i can mess this test up? everything else comes out good. Ph is a bit HI but i don't have the cash to get something to lower it.

11. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Your reading of 8ppm of ammonia is likely a false positive. Flush your test tube in aquarium water; that's what I do every time I test parameters using a plastic syringe. If your source water has unusually high concentrations of chloramines it is possible you are getting a false positive due to this.

Don't worry about braking things. I stepped on a 36" 30W brand new lamp as I was working in a DIY upgrade. Those are inconveniences of life not real problems.

Don't be hard on yourself, just embrace the consequences (clean the mess, replace the lamp whenever you can) and move forward. If you can't replace it right away you could go without lights for a few days, even if your tank is planted.

Accidents happen in this hobby. I once placed a heavy submersible pump in the middle bracket of my then Betta Sorority tank only to accidentally bump it and it dropped like a heavy rock into the tank killing one of the Bettas; in that same tank, a previous day, I was placing an inside the tank corner filter and accidentally killed another girl Betta as I applied pressure to position it where I wanted.

Fishlorians have helped me through though moments like this, most likely because they experienced similar events.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

12. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Amquel+ has a known compatability issue with the API ammonia test. It will read false positive, even if ammonia is zero.

I went to Kardon's on line store and bought their powder based ammonia test kit for that very reason.

13. Lexar169 Member Member

so you want me to submerge it in tank water? for how long?
    495.jpg
    496.jpg
    Really?

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

completely rinse them out with hot water...then completely submerged them 2-3 times in the tank water...and test again ....do you use amquel+?

15. Lexar169 Member Member

yes, recently

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

amelquel plus is causing this, you'll either need to switch to prime or purchase the kordon powder-based ammonia test. this is definately a false reading, in my opinion.

17. Lexar169 Member Member

ok, soon as i can ill switch to prime. thanks alot....this 8.0 stuff was freaking me out. would of been nice to see something on the lable about compad problems, it wasint the cheapest thing around.

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you could just order the ammonia test online from kordon. i think the rest of the api kit works

19. Lexar169 Member Member

yeah i might order it. or go prime. depends what cheaper. thanks for all your help. when im at the pet store is there anything anyone recommends i get? i only get the chance to go now and then due to funds so i like to make sure i get the best "highly recommended" without forgetting. "i write everything down"

20. MizRamzi Well Known Member Member

I've noticed you have live plants in your tank~are you using any kind of plant food? I use Flourish plant food and those are the exact same readings I get~so there may be your answer to a false positive.