Water Testing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by leorents123, Apr 10, 2017.

1. leorents123New MemberMember

Readings are ok I'm guessing? Is nitrate a little high? Reads about 20ppm. Moderate planting, moderate lighting.

Attached Files:

2. BluMan1914

BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Looks like you are cycled. I suggest that you do a water change to bring down the Nitrates. Maybe a 30% change.
    To want the Nitrates to stay between 5-20.

Looking back at your readings..make it a 50% water change.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    l

leorents123New MemberMember

What's the cause of nitrate to go up? & thanks for the response! Appreciate it

4. BluMan1914

Mostly due to overfeeding. Cut back on the amount. Only enough that they eat it all within 2-3 minutes. Also make sure that you keep up with your water changes and substrate cleaning.

5. OP
    OP
    l

I have moderate planting. I really don't know how to clean the substrate without bothering the roots. I'll look into that. I usually clean the surface, glass & top of the substrate before doing the water change

6. BluMan1914

All you have to do is place your sypon slightly above the surface and swirl it around to cause the debris to be lifted. And then you can pick it up with the siphon.
    With your plants just be careful around them. Depending on how strong your sypon is, it should be enough to pick up debris without disturbing the roots.
    You can also use a turkey bastor around your plants to pick up debris.

7. OP
    OP
    l

Appreciate it! Thanks!! Will definitely do that

8. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

You can test your tap water for nitrates, too, if you want. 2 months ago I had none in my tap, this past weekend I discovered I had 5ppm!

9. shelbie.alyseNew MemberMember

Do a water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice