water testing Ph

1. k9z3boys Member Member

I tested 3 of the tanks today-- here are the results. yes I used the api liquid kit.
    all tanks have live plants- the 60 has the most.
    the tanks are pretty much stocked where they need to be... I would like to get another oto or 2 but I don't think I have the algae-- heard the first month is critical with these guys. would like another bristlenose pleco but all they have around here are albino and those are even hard to come by. :( which makes no sense as they are the easiest to tank breed. oh well...
    I know the 60 has a ways to go... we are getting there..

26bowfront- 4 mollies, 2 otos

Ph 7
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia between 2 and 3

odd that no nitrates and ammonia that high although the way it is bound up by the prime may be a factor. its consistent at least, still odd...

29long = about 15g - rubberlip pleco and 6 danios

Ph between 6.5 and 6.8
    Ammonia 1-2
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0

60g freshwater community-- 10 danios, 5 platys, 5 corys 1 gourami 1 albino pleco 3 ADF assorted ghost shrimp

Ph- barely 6
    Ammonia between 4-5
    Nitrate 10
    Nitrite not quite .25-- too blue to be purple but not teal for the 0 for sure...

thoughts....?

the 26 had a small water change yesterday
    the 60 is due for one Saturday or sunday
    the mynock tank is due today.... 5g would be 30% right?

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sounds like they are all still in the beginning stages of the nitrogen cycle. When did you start these tanks? Filling out the "about me" section would be very helpful for additional advice :)

3. k9z3boys Member Member

I did the about me as much as I could... most of it is locked I guess until I am more established...

the 60 we bought on fathers day- It would be cycled if it wasn't overstocked....
    the 26 we cycled with the mynock and danios- then moved him to his own tank
    the 29l mynock tank he has been in a week....

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello,

I suggest you do a water change on every one of your tanks to reduce the ammonia down to below .25PPM. Did you use a starter bacteria culture like TSS, Colony or Stability to kick start your cycle?

5. FiscCyning Member Member

With those high ammonia levels I definitely would recommend water changes immediately. Continue with large water changes until the ammonia reading comes back close to 0 ppm. If you didn't use a bottled bacteria product like Tetra Safe Start, you should be doing frequent large water changes while your tanks cycle to keep the water parameters safe.

I also would not recommend getting more otos right now. They are extremely sensitive and should not be added to a tank that is still cycling. Preferably you should finish cycling all your tanks before adding any more fish.

6. k9z3boys Member Member

yes, stability

7. FiscCyning Member Member

It looks like the Stability did not work, at least on the two smaller tanks. The 60 gallon appears to be mid-cycle, so maybe it at least started the cycle there but hard to know until we know how long the tanks have been set up. The other two are definitely not cycled at all. The high ammonia with 0 ppm nitrite and nitrate means you have none of the beneficial bacteria needed to convert the ammonia.

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

There are different opinions regarding the "bacteria in a bottle approach". I've had success with it, but others have seen huge fluctuations (which may indicate unstable bacteria colonies) and then no success at all. I know hindsight is 20/20, but it's usually best to still wait at least 2 weeks and do daily water tests, even if using a bacteria additive. Regular partial water changes, as described above, will alleviate some of the stress on your fish and will be necessary for their health. Best wishes to you and your tanks!