Water Testing Off...need Help

lindsey503

Reaction score
hello everyone,

So I’m a carpet new fish pet owner ...I ha a 20 gallon tank with my fish in it about a month but wasn’t big enough so I upgraded to 55 gallon...I let the new aquarium sit for about a week with my goldfish and ghost shrimp. Now that all my other fish are in there, I can’t seem to get the water right. The ammonia stays at .5 and nitrite at .25 and now my nitrate has spiked to about 100 today...and I’m not sure what to do...please help

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
lindsey503 said:
hello everyone,

So I’m a carpet new fish pet owner ...I ha a 20 gallon tank with my fish in it about a month but wasn’t big enough so I upgraded to 55 gallon...I let the new aquarium sit for about a week with my goldfish and ghost shrimp. Now that all my other fish are in there, I can’t seem to get the water right. The ammonia stays at .5 and nitrite at .25 and now my nitrate has spiked to about 100 today...and I’m not sure what to do...please help
Welcome to Fish lore

did you transfer the filter or filter media from your 20 to your 55 when you upgraded?

edit: the only way to control nitrates is through water changes. if yours are at 100, I suggest a 50-60% change asap because over 40ppm can harm some fish species .

the good news is that if your nitrates spiked your cycle is going

lindsey503

Reaction score
Sorry my phone has had issues the last day...so my nitrates are back down after my weekly water change but my ammonia in my 55 gallon is .5 and my nitrites are .25 and in my 20 gallon my ammonia is .25 and nitrites are .5 to a 1 ...it’s hard to read the color sometimes. Yes, I put the filter from my 20 to the 55 gallon to help speed things up and get everything going...

I knew that my 55 gallon didn’t quit finish the cycle after about a week of two mollies, and some ghost shrimp Andy 20 gallon filter helping but I had a dangerous spike in amonia in my 20 gallon and made an executive decision to go ahead and switch my fish over...everyone keeps telling me I should have a 0 amonia but there always seems to be a little bit in it...

All of my fish have such a wonderful and different personality...I would hate to lose any of them...

Sorry one more thing for back story...I made the mistake I think a lot of new fish owners make and overtocked my 20 gallon...I believe that’s why the amonia spiked to almost a 2...but I have had most of my fish a little over a month and have had no deaths thanks god

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom