Water testing help please!

betta06

so I need to get a test kit for my tanks and looking it is $60! and I only have $25 right now so unless my parents help it is too expensive right now... what kit should I buy first? I will get the rest as soon as I can though.

also if it is okay I will also use this thread to help confirm the waters parameters one I get it tested.

thanks!

Fisch

The best kit is still the API freshwater testkit for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
That is the basic good kit for $25. You will get a lot of life out of the kit.

betta06

Fisch said:
The best kit is still the API freshwater testkit for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
That is the basic good kit for $25. You will get a lot of life out of the kit.
I would, and that is what I would like to get but here in Canada $60 is the cheapest I can find it. so I think the best thing to do would be buy each kit separately. do you know what the 2 most inportent things to test for would be? my tank should already be cycled as it has been running for at least 4 months with seeded filter media and bottled bacteria but the betta who lived in there died of dropsy so I want to be sure there is not anything wrong with the parameters. (I think it is old age that caused it toughs he was 5 but want to be sure)
Dunk2 said:
thank you! $40 is actually a good price had not seen that yet! but amazon is not shipping to us right now so I don't think it would work....

JLAquatics

I would IMO definitely get a Nitrate and Ammonia test kits if you had to only get two. The Nitrate kit will determine if you are doing enough water changes post cycle and the Ammonia kit will let you know first hand if something is awry in your cycle or if it crashed.

betta06

Dunk2 said:
I think I will do ammonia. and I might be able to do 2 so what else would you recommend?
JLAquatics said:
I would IMO definitely get a Nitrate and Ammonia test kits if you had to only get two. The Nitrate kit will determine if you are doing enough water changes post cycle and the Ammonia kit will let you know if something is awry in your cycle or if it crashed.
thank you SO much! I will get those 2 for now then!

JLAquatics

betta06 said:
I think I will do ammonia. and I might be able to do 2 so what else would you recommend?

thank you SO much! I will get those 2 for now then!
If you could get one more, get a Nitrite kit as well. PH is not as desperately needed as the Nitrite and the two I mentioned above IMO.

betta06

I got the whole kit! my sister agreed to pay a bit for her own fish so worked out perfect!

but I am confused why is there 2 ammonia and nitrate? do I test for them both? I will let you know the results once I figure out what everything is though!

I also ended up getting a amazon sword plant for stars tank and a wild type plakat betta she looks a lot like Athena so want to name her something related to her.

also are they really as dangerous as the bottle says? it has all kinds of warnings and says to ware gloves and protective eyeware.

figured it out! and as for the testings..

boys 10 gallon (50% water change yesterday day)
ammonia. 0ppm
nitrate. 0ppm
nitrite. 0ppm
ph. 7.4
temp. 77

girls 10 gallon (50% water change today)
ammonia. 0ppm
nitrate. 0ppm
nitrite. 0ppm
ph. 8.0 is this too high?
temp. 77

5 gallon single betta (80% water change Friday) he had some disgusting build up in the sand so that is why I did 80%.
ammonia. 0ppm
nitrate. 0ppm
nitrite. 0ppm
ph. 7.4
temp. 78

just to make sure the tests where working..

new betta still in cup.
ammonia. 1ppm (I though that hight could kill fish?)
nitrate. 0ppm
nitrite. 0ppm
ph. 0ppm
temp. 72F
does this all sound good?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom