water testing - ammonia

1. Mims Member Member

Hey y'all, can you help me out? I've never had a problem with my testing readings since I started testing, so I'm not sure how to fix this.

PH - 6.0
    Ammonia - 2.0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0

I have 1 betta in a 5 gallon hex. Water temp 82.

How do I fix the ammonia? Water change? Thanks for any advice.

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Yes a water change is needed to reduce the ammonia.

The water change will relieve the stress on the fish for now, but we should still figure out why there was ammonia in the first place so you can prevent it from happening again. Is the tank cycled? How often do you do water changes?

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there. Sorry for your troubles.

Same questions as the above. I'm also wondering if this is your normal pH or is it usually higher? And what you're testing your water with?

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I'm also curious about that pH. Your cycle will be in jeopardy at 6.0.

5. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Your PH at 6.0 is too low IMO.
    Ph values this low tend to not have a very good ( if any ) Kh value, which is required to buffer any Ph.
    With your Ph at 6.0, your tank may be going in and out of the start of a mini cycle, and that is why the Ammonia is high.
    I would suggest doing water changes of around 30 % every 3 days with a replacement water that has a slightly higher PH value.
    This should reduce the Ammonia level as well as increasing the Ph level slowly, so the fish is not shocked

6. Mims Member Member

How do I get my PH up?

I am using an API freshwater master kit. I haven't tested the tap water by itself, I'll do that in a minute. I usually do a 50 - 80% water change every Friday before I go home for the weekend. It's normally at about 6.6 or sometimes 6.8 PH. The tank was cycled for about the last year, everything was fine. I was out for surgery and a co-worker added a bunch of large snails to my tank (!!!!!!!!!!) and it's been weird ever since. (Snails are long gone).
    I will start off with small water changes every day.

7. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Try using some water from a different water source which has a higher Ph value for the water changes.
    This should raise the Ph, and hopefully the Kh also, which will stabilize the Ph level.