Water Testing - 3 Platys, 10l Tank

Platyfinsfan

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have three little Platys in a 10 litre tank (photo attached.) I have had two of them for two weeks then added a third a week ago. I am concerned as my third platy in the last 12 hours has kept swimming to to the top of the tank for air. I do partial water changes every 3 days due to the tank size (I am considering upgrading to a bigger tank) and have done another partial water change now. Is there a particular water testing kits anyone would advise? Or perhaps would you recommend more plants too? Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe that is a 2.6 gallon tank so I think it’s too small, so there could be buildup of toxins like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do you know about cycling and were you able to cycle this tank?
I recommend the API Master Kit. You can get test strips as well but I find for me the kit is better although more expensive on outset. It is cheaper in the long run though.
I would maybe try to do a water change every day/every other day and use SeaChem Prime as your water conditioner.
Definitely do your best to get a bigger tank. They will need that.

New Threads