Question Water Tester Question

philyoosays

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just got my API Master Test Kit as well as their GH/KH liquid tester.

I'm looking at my first readings and I'm not sure If I'm supposed to compare my results to the chart by looking through the side of the test tube or through the top of the test tube. Looking through the top of the tube makes the color darker, thus a different reading.

Do I look through the top or the side?

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Through The side with API, Through The top with Salifert tests.
Make sure you are in a a well lit room. near a white wall or somthing to determine that the lighting is proper. if the wall/papper ect. is white, then you know that the other colors are fairly accurate.

You put the cap on and shook it vigorously for both tests right?

philyoosays

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Through The side with API, Through The top with Salifert tests.
Make sure you are in a a well lit room. near a white wall or somthing to determine that the lighting is proper. if the wall/papper ect. is white, then you know that the other colors are fairly accurate.

You put the cap on and shook it vigorously for both tests right?
I used both as directed and got these results.

pH is a little high at 7.8
Ammonia at 0.25 ppm
Nitrite between 0.5 and 0.75 ppm
Nitrates 0
GH at 71.6 ppm
KH at 71.6 ppm

I know that I'm well on my way and I actually have some wood soaking in a tank of the throw-out water after a water change that I mixed some fresh water into. My hope is that they'll lower the pH as I heard that wood does.

I bought some Seachem Stability and does my water with it after I saw the elevated nitrite with 0 nitrates. I ordered Prime online and it'll arrive by tomorrow. I've also been buying new plants each week so the plant population continues to increase

(this is a no-tech nano 4gal tank with no filter or air and has been cycling into its 4th week now. It's moderately planted with a snails and a handful of shrimps to provide additional ammonia.)

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't need a ton of chemicals, cycling takes patience.
Is your tap water at 7.8 ph? If not, then when your tank is cycled, it will probably settle at the same ph as the tap water.

The majority of freshwater fish will thrive at 7.8 you need to slowly acclimate all fish for 60 - 90 minutes, it is more important when the ph at the pet store is different than your ph, but you should do it either way. If your ph stays at 7.8, just reasearch all species and avoid those few species that thrive at a ph.o of 7.0 or lower. Trying to change the ph often results in shifting ph that is bad for all fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom