Water Test Strips

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I've seen people saying that the strips are not accurate but was never told why. Also how inaccurate is it? It's the only water test that my local store sells

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, they just don’t measure up to the liquid tests and once opened, they’ve been exposed to moisture in the air, making them less reliable. I used them for a very long time, got my liquid kit and there is a measurable difference in the readings....I still use strips for gh and kh only because I haven’t ordered those yet. You can find api liquid kits on amazon for about $20

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So the air messes with the strips? Alright then I guess I know what I'm ordering in the spring

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, the humidity in the air messes with them, and I don’t think that they are as precise. If you only have the choice of strips, the Tetra strips are known to be more accurate than the API ones.

Hayleycox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use both liquid and test strips.. Test strips are just faster to use. I do a big check of everything once a month with the liquid test kit and for weekly tests and water changes i use test strips ( cut down the center so i get two strips for every one strip makes a 25 pack a 50 pack , just a tip) I feel like once it is dialed in and your just testing for maintenance then the test strips are fine and you will be able to see any spikes.. But for a cycling tank or a real in depth test i use the liquid kits.. Just my 2 cents

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They sell the API ones here

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JamieXPXP said:
They sell the API ones here
The API ones are not very good, which is rather odd considering how everyone praises the API liquid based ones.

The Tetra 6-in1 strips are more accurate than the API test strips.
I've compared the results of the API liquid test against the tetra strips, and found them to line up quite well.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JamieXPXP said:
So I've seen people saying that the strips are not accurate but was never told why. Also how inaccurate is it? It's the only water test that my local store sells
Hello Jam...

I've used the strips and they seem as accurate as anything else. Just make sure you get those that are individually wrapped. Seems like back in the day when I was testing the water during a cycle, I used a product from Tetra.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom