Water Test Levels

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Randy Mcclaren, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Randy McclarenNew MemberMember

I got my ammonia to stabilize between
    .25 and .5 with water changes and prime so added TSS monday water change early Sunday morning added prime then test water it was good on ammonia retest Monday after noon good also so I dosed with TSS tonight I test and get .5 on ammonia between 0-5 on nitrates but 1 on nitrites is this normal

2. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

3. Randy McclarenNew MemberMember

Fish incycle

4. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

wuts the size of ur tank? wut type of fish r u using?

5. Randy McclarenNew MemberMember

It's a 60 gallon and has been going 2 months now and was not getting any nitrate reading at all so some said the tank was not cycled so after a water change I added TSS I'm new some of this so I thought with ammonia and pH good it was ok added some angels, gouramis, Cory's, Denison barbs. Water was good for what I was testing no deaths or sickness was adding prime at each water change had a couple spikes in ammonia and got it down was suggested to test for nitrates and nitrites that's when I found the nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 0 then found out ur supposed to have some kind of reading so they suggested the tank was not cycled added the TSS Monday and today at lunch this was the reading so I added prime and going to test tonight and probably a water change

c06307bf0a79eb56634760af25d4a256.jpg

This was a test from Saturday night changed 50% water on Sunday added the prime the waited 24hrs till Monday then added the TSS and now the tank went crazy
    649c29e3dab6015ef1c3d7d119fdd68b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  6. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

keep adding the TSS while monitoring ur ammonia and nitrite. I have read that when ur nitrite is above 1ppm it will kill ur BB. Hopefully someone else will chyme in 2 say whether that is correct or not.

7. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I am kind of concerned with your pH. Is it 6.6 or 6.8? I would not want it any lower at all. You should be sure your gh/kH is at a level that will keep your pH stable.

For TSS it says to add to tank then leave tank alone for 2 weeks. Primarily because your tank tests will be all sorts of crazy. It is the main reason I use Prime & Stability. I need more control when cycling.

I personally would follow the instruction on the TSS exactly. Add to tank, wait 14 days, do a large water change (with dechlorinated water) and then test the tank. See where you are.

8. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

In the case of fish in cycling there may need to be a water change if there is an ammonia spike over 2ppm bc prime will only lock ammonia at 2ppm and below.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice