Question Water Test Color Accuracy And Timing

Shade89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use the API Master Test Kit for freshwater. It's strange because the instructions say to wait 5 minutes for the color to develop and when I checked the nitrates it looked like 5ppm. But after leaving it for about 30 minutes it looks like 10-20ppm. Is this a bad result of letting it sit for too long or is it more accurate? My ammonia did the same. It looked like 1ppm after 5 minutes and now it looks like 0.50ppm after 30 minutes.

I posted a picture of the nitrates after 30 minutes. Would someone mind telling me what they see? I'm a bit colorblind. Usually I'd ask someone else in my household but no one is around at the moment.

I took it into a room with better lighting and now the ammonia definitely looks like 1ppm and nitrates 5-10ppm. But I would still like to ask if the timing after adding the test solutions makes a difference.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I took it into a room with better lighting and now the ammonia definitely looks like 1ppm and nitrates 5-10ppm. But I would still like to ask if the timing after adding the test solutions makes a difference.
So what waiting does is allow off gassing. This can have an effect on chemical results. The api master test kit is a step up from strips but realistically it is just a color comparison test. It is "accurate" but not very precise.

Shade89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So what waiting does is allow off gassing. This can have an effect on chemical results. The api master test kit is a step up from strips but realistically it is just a color comparison test. It is "accurate" but not very precise.
Ok I won't record anything today and just test again tomorrow. My bathroom seems to have the brightest lighting with white walls so hopefully I'm seeing it correctly in there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom