Water Temperature

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How does everyone keep their deck ponds from getting too hot? I just checked and mine was 80 degrees. I have rosy reds in there and although I read they can handle that temp, I worry about it as the summer gets hotter. Yes, there are areas that are shaded and there are bricks that they can take shelter in. I was only able to check the first 6" since that's as deep as my thermometer will go but since it takes the water from the bottom and circulates it around, I would assume it's is close to 80 all the way through. Does everyone just have umbrellas set up? It was 84 out today and 80 yesterday otherwise it's been in the 70's the past week. I didn't realize how quickly the water would warm up, I'm not sure why I would think that but I guess it's one of those naive mistakes. It's on the deck that will get pretty hot (don't walk out there barefoot!) and gets full sun around 10-11:00 until around 6 or 7:00. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

JustaNoOb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is not pond related but the concept is the same. What I did last year with a reservoir I had in a greenhouse, I connected a long hose to a water pump I had in the reservoir. Had the hose go 3-4' straight under the ground but in a coil pattern so lots of hose was buried.
The water would circulate through the cold hose and back into the res. Worked great.
My res was always cool to the touch, even when the temp in the greenhouse was hot.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JustaNoOb said:
This is not pond related but the concept is the same. What I did last year with a reservoir I had in a greenhouse, I connected a long hose to a water pump I had in the reservoir. Had the hose go 3-4' straight under the ground but in a coil pattern so lots of hose was buried.
The water would circulate through the cold hose and back into the res. Worked great.
My res was always cool to the touch, even when the temp in the greenhouse was hot.
Wow, what a great idea. Maybe I can get my husband to figure something like that out! He's good with those kinds of things.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom