Water temp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Paicavi, Mar 21, 2010.

1. P

Paicavi Valued Member Member

:;dogrun Hi , I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 mollies and 2 little tetras. I feed them tropical flakes, algae discs and blood worms. The ammonia reads 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 20 and temp is 64. No live plants. One of my mollies I think they sold to me is sick (staying at the bottom, lethargic, no eating). I just got him 3 days ago!. I want to increase the temp of the water to 80 degrees. Can I do that by adding hot water on my small daily changes?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    64F is rather chilly for tropical fish. Slowly ( a couple of degrees a a day) increase it to about 76-77F. That would be about mid range for mollys.
    He also might be feeling the effects of ammonia in your water.
    By the looks of your nitrates, your tank was probably cycled at some point (unless you have nitrates in your tap water).
    I'd do daily water changes until you get the cycle back.

Good luck, I hope your fish feels better!

3. OP
    OP
    P

So do think adding hotter Tap water will do the trick? Also how else can I get rid of the flipping ammonia. I'm changing 2 liters a day. Thanx for your answer. Oh and by the way, my gold dust mollie gave birth and they ate them all, could he have indigestion from eating my babies? :)

4. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Hi paicavi,I wouldnt add hot water,I would do what lucy said and turn your heater up slowly.Adding hot water from 64% (which is way to cool)will cause stress on your fish.

What type of test kit are you using?I dont think your fish have indigestion they just had a hardy meal.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    I agree warmer temps are needed ...when you do future water changes (every day with ammonia in there) you can mix the warm/cold water on your tap to keep the temps warmer and the same as your tank......you dont need to keep adding any salt as fw fish dont need it....keep doing daily water changes until the cycle completes.....you might want to try to invest in an api liquid master test kit as the strips are not reliable ....you wont really ever know exactly what your tank is while using them :(

goodluck!

6. OP
    OP
    P

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your help, the only problem is that I don't have a heater, and before you tell me to go get one, I have to say "next paycheck". Man this guys are more expensive that my dogs!!!!! But I love them so I want toake it work

7. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

May i suggest the marineland stealth pro.(30.00)Your fish need to have a stable temp.

8. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

I think I paid less than $30 for my heater in my 10 gal maybe $18. Keeps it at a nice 78 degrees.

9. lil0618

lil0618 Valued Member Member

Buy Heater Soon or :;bb wha wha whaaaaaa

10. OP
    OP
    P

Hey guys, I bought the heater and temp is around 77 degrees, the readings are all fine, but now my black molly girl is sick with swim bladder problems. I just can't win!!!!!!. What is the most humain way of putting her down? She is struggling to breath. The good news is that the 4 fry I rescued are flowrishing. How many times do I feed them? They are in a different container

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Before "putting her down" maybe you could try to feed her some daphnia or pea. If you opt for the pea, just blanch it, take off the skin and cut it into small piece (about the size of her eye).

12. OP
    OP
    P

LlI'll try that in a different container

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice