20 Gallon Tank Water Temp

michael_d

Just set up a 20 gal tank, have the plants decorations in it. I have a 100 watt heater and its been running for 3 days but water temp won't go over 70-72?? What's the secret to getting 74-76+ water temp? I won't be putting fish in for week or more just starting the cycling process, but I am concerned about being able to maintain right temp.

click

HI and welcome to Fishlore!

What kind of heater are you using?

michael_d

submersible not sure of brand not at home now

AlyeskaGirl

Welcome to Fishlore!

What heater do you have and what is the temp set at on it? Ideally you want a consistent temp of 78-80 if you are keeping tropical fish. Warmer temps help bacterial growth too. Your heater could be faulty. It happens.

Prince Powder

If your heater is adjustable just turn up the dial. If not, it probably has a preset and it would be subject to the temperatures of the room you have it in. If it is adjustable and you have it set for a higher temp, the heater might be defective and you might need to exchange it. As far as adding fish, you actually have about a month or more to wait. The cycling process takes about a month or so to complete. Getting your temps set will be important even during the cycling process since cooler water makes the bacteria go dormant and slows the process. If you can get your temps up to about 85F it will speed up the cycling process. Then drop it back to about 78-80 when you're ready to add fish. (assuming you're adding tropical fish.) What method are you planning on using to cycle your tank? Check out this thread Four Methods of Fishless Cycling it will give you some options.

OH! And Welcome to Fishlore!!
(I always forget that part )

Aquarist

Hello MichaelD and Welcome to Fish Lore,
Sounds like a faulty heater.
Here is a brand I recommend:

Good luck with your cycle!
Ken

Aquarist

Downward Dogs' question has been moved to a thread of its own. Link below:

As mentioned this thread is old and the issues should be resolved by now.
Thanks!
Ken

Closed thread

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom