Water Temp

1. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Could really use some suggestions for assistance with keeping my tanks cool. Our AC has gone out (so sorry, haven't been around much the last couple days as I don't want to have the computer on much) and we are waiting on the apt complex to fix it...

That being said, it's getting into the mid 90s in our living room... I've been doing multiple water changes a day, adding ice in bags, have the lids off the tanks with fans blowing on them... With all of this, my tanks are still running about 82-86. So far no deaths, but I really need something a bit more stable until they get this fixed for us, and I don't know how long my snails and shrimp will be ok in the higher temps (bit less worried about the betta, as he seems to be enjoying it so far).

Anyone know if this is any good http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqua-cool-aquarium-fan? I could drop $60 to get a few fans, but I really can't afford to drop $400 per tank for 3 tanks...

2. MinhMai Member Member

Um go cheaper. Buy a 10 dollar desk fan from Walmart/Target and set it up to blow down on the surface of your tank. Leave the hood off necessary.
    This is literally how my LFS does it, a lot of that fancy smanshy equipment people try to sell you can be improvised in some way.

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Already done, that's part of why they aren't at 90...

4. MinhMai Member Member

There's always frozen water bottles. You can float and refreeze as needed.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

When will the A/C be fixed?

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yes, already doing ice

Not soon enough for my liking. With luck either today or tomorrow.

Sorry for the double post, not sure how to multi quote on the app.

7. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Cold water wc will drop the temp down some as well. Not sure where in TX you are but here in the DFW area tap temps are in the high 70s.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They should be okay at 86 F until tomorrow.

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I've been managing 82ish other than the betta tank. We do have one casualty so far unfortunately, one little RCS. I've been using cool water as well for water changes a few times a day, actually refrigerating it a bit and mixing it with tap. In answer to the question about where in TX I am, Irving.

In case you can't tell, tank maintenance has gone from a couple hours a week to a couple hours a day, lol.

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yay! It really will be today! They're almost done. I don't know that we would have survived the coming week, let alone my little ones, since we're supposed to be upper 90s by Wednesday.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd worry about using refrigerated water because it can be too much of a temp shock for them.

EDIT: Just saw your post. Awesome!

12. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

That was definitely taken into consideration. I was doing about 1 gallon water changes on the tanks, using half refrigerated and half tap water. That meant there was no need to turn off the filter for it since the water level wasn't really getting too low. I would then add the gallon of water over the course of about 10-20 minutes, adding it away from the tank inhabitants. (as best as possible anyway, since RCS are incredibly curious)

Then, after a couple hours, another one gallon water change with the same process.

I can't wait to get everything back to normal, give them longer than 3 hour days, and be able to actually cook again! I have no idea how people settled this area and survived before some type of cooling existed (but that may just be because I grew up in OH and am not used to these summers yet).

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I grew up in hot and humid Florida and I still think Texas summers are miserable.

14. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Good news, AC is fixed and fully functional. It took them until about 1pm, so 4 hours of straight working on it, but it's going again. We ended up getting a new outside unit and they replaced almost everything in the ceiling too. I'm really hoping this means that it'll be a lower energy cost :)

I think I am going to make it through this with very few casualties. I lost one RCS, and I have a leaf on the banana plant in my betta tank that is now almost completely white, so I'm guessing that will die too. Other than that, everyone seems to be doing mostly well. Some of the other RCS have lost a little color, but they are eating and swimming actively, so I'm hoping they will all make a good recovery.

15. MinhMai Member Member

Sorry you lost an RCS. That's a crazy ordeal when not only are you sweating buckets, but your fish are overheating too.

Have you considered a portable AC? I have one that has a pair of wheels and I made a plywood cover over a window with a hole for its 3ft long exhaust duct. It's my main AC unit, but something similar could be useful as a backup for you.

16. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

The apt. complex actually gave us one to use temporarily while the AC was out, but there's no window to hook it to near the tanks. They hooked it up in our bedroom. I then had 2 box fans and 2 pedestal fans circulating the air around. It did help a bit, before they hooked it up, the living room was at 100 instead of mid 90s. I actually considered going out and getting a second one, and if they had told us it was going to be longer for them to fix the AC, I probably would have, still might as a backup, but we're hopefully going to be moving into a house next summer, so I'd almost rather wait so I don't have to lug the thing up to the 3rd floor, never use it, and lug it back down :)

17. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Well, they weren't overly happy, but the RCS were definitely growing... I have seen 4 molts since the temp went back down.