Water temp for R/O System

bhcaaron
I just read the following from Drs. Foster and Smith :

Water Temperature - The ideal operational temperature should be 70° to 77°F. Low water temperatures like 50°F restrict the output to half. NEVER run hot or mixed hot/cold water through the R/O unit. Only run COLD water

PROBLEM! In my area, our typical sunny summer is around 130F. Water usually runs at around 120F during this time. Yes, it cools after running it for quite a while but only to about 90F, still no where near the required temperature. WHAT DO I DO? Would I be able to connected to a chiller first? (Ugh! I was hoping to do without one!)

leximommy
are you talking about when you first set up your tank? if so then add ice to it..... I mean if you need to.... your suposed to run the aquarium for a few weeks anyways without fish so you can cycle it, so it shouldnt matter....

bhcaaron
I'm talking about every water change. Winter months shoould not be a problem. The problem is we only have two seasons here. winter/summer so for about five months out of the year the water would damage the r/o filters. Will I have to buy drinking water? Darn!

leximommy
that is an option... but if your talking about temp, your supost to let the saltwater set for at least a day ( ithink,) before changing it anyways, so it should be cooled to room temp anyways...right?

bhcaaron
Except that the water if FOR the solution. I would need it to go through the R/O before I mixed it. Otherwise, I'd imagine, it would be filtering out all the salt mix I'd just put in there, right? Or am I totally confused?

leximommy
wait wait wait ....your gonna run it through an r/ o unit.... that's attached to the tank, or your sink? I know what an R/O unit does but where does it go? if anything just run it through the unit, dump it in the tank, then wait till it hits the right temp, then add salt.....

bhcaaron
I'm confoozzed! I will be using tap water for my tank. But the tap water needs to be purified, thus the need for an R/O. So the R/O would be attached to the tap. The tap water is too hot in the summer time for the R/O requirements. That purified water is then used to mix with the salt mix. My question was on that part of the process.

leximommy
OHHHH!!!! ok.... (<<<<< blonde moment....lol) so the water has to be a certain temp for R/O unit to work?

bhcaaron
Yeah! LexiMommy, I gotta share with someone or I'll burst! My friends from Nebraska came to Bullhead yesterday and they knocked at my door today. Now I check my emails and Johnny, my bestest friend who I hadn't heard from in months and had me freaking out, emailed me! Now we're emailing back and forth as I check fishlore replies! Ugh! I'm always so scared of good things. Usually something bad happens right after something good and usually worse than the good things that happened! Still, I'm overjoyed.

leximommy
lol I'm so happy for you. I have good news also (kinda, lol but its still good...) savanah doctor was able to get us this monitor thing...(its like the size of a piece of paper) that we slip under her sheets and lay her on when shes sleeping and if she stops breathing, it sounds an alarm in our room....(like I said I know its not big like yours , but now I can sleep! lol )

bhcaaron
Not big!? OMG! That is awesome! I don't know what to do with so much good news! I'm not used to it! I know you'll still worry, but, at least you'll be able to get better sleep. You've seemed a little out of it since you haven't been sleeping well (I would imagine).

leximommy
lol yep, now I'm just waiting for my two year old to go to sleep....lol

also found out the bill isn't high at all (hospital) so I may be able to get the tank and such after all.... so...name the color of the rainbow....(I don't know if I got them right in my other post...lol)

bhcaaron
so...name the color of the rainbow....(I don't know if I got them right in my other post...lol)

Huh?

leximommy
lol I want to know fish that are rainbow colored.... I don't care if its fish that are all one color or mixed colors, I just want rainbow colors..... I posted it in species to see if I could get some sugestions....but I don't know if I got the colors right....lol

bhcaaron
Sorry, I don't know as much about rainbows as you think! HA!

leximommy
lol ok ..... I think I got it right...

bhcaaron
Just think, if my butt is smart I must be a genius! HA!

leximommy
lol well then youd know the colors of the rainbow wouldnt you....lol

bhcaaron
NOW who's the smart butt!

leximommy
well I'm getting better since talking to you....lol

bhcaaron
all of a sudden LexiMommy doesn't seem as funny anymore (loljk)

leximommy
lol I learn from the best....

bhcaaron
Darn right! Mmm hmmmm!

leximommy
lol now it sounds like you know a lot about rainbows....lol

Gozer_1
Well, if your tap water is that freakin hot then you are definitely gonna be purchasing purified "drinking" water. I have accidently run overly warm water through mine but no where near the temps you mentioned. 75 degrees is prime for my RO\DI. I also buy water because ROs are slow and they can waste a lot of water. I bought a top of the line RO\DI rated at 75 Gallons per DAY and it says the waste water should be about 4 to 1. So for every gallon of pure water you get 4 gallons of waste water. I use the waste to water house plants and stuff but I make 20 gallons of Saltwater every week. That means if I go all RO\DI I have 80 GALLONS of water to put some where or let it go down the drain.

Peterpiper
HEY Aaron
IN Australia we drink lots of beer, and we like our beer cold.. very cold.
We get beer in kegs for parties 18g, and pass the said amber fluid through a ice box, to chill.
Could you plumb up some hose through a ice box to reduce the temp pre RO?
chears!!!!

bhcaaron
Wow! That actually might work. Now I'll have to find an uninsulated hose lol. Around there insulated hoses are the norm, I'm sure you can understand. I actually live an hour away from the official fourth hottest place in the world, Australia having the third at just under one degree hotter.

leximommy
lol you know some weird stuff.....

bhcaaron
I guess its because I have so much weirdness built up inside me... couldn't you tell !?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ParrotCichlid
Replies
Views
_Fried_Bettas_
Replies
Views
darkwolf29a
Replies
Views